Help a Noob pick out a set of IEMs
Feb 9, 2012 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chuckp

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Bose IE IEMs.  I got them for free from a mail in rebate deal years ago, dont hate :)

I've been looking for a new set over the past few days.  I dont really have a price limit, but it seem like most of you reccommend i start out with a budget set to find out what I enjoy and work my way up?  This pair will be primarily used for working out and other outdoor activities, hence why id prefer a budget set to get my feet wet with.

I listen to trance, rock, pop, rap, pretty much everything actually.  I don't like a lot of bass, although i'm not sure what "a lot" of bass is when referring to IEM's.  (my bose lack any bass).  I enjoy good clean music, dont want my mids to be overpowered by the low end. I prefer a "warm" sound i suppose.  Nothing too extreme on the low and high end that would make my head hurt. 

I was pretty set on the MEElectronic M6s ($20 amazon).  But of course I kept looking..and found the ViSang R02 to have gotten some great reviews ($34 amazon)
I am open to other suggestions as well.  I am leaning towards the R02s at the moment.

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 8
It looks like you have a pretty tight budget based on your findings so far, and honestly you'll be hard pressed to find anything in that price range that outperform your Bose IEMs. The Denon AH-C360 are a great little IEM for the price, and they have that warm feel that your looking for. I've seen them for around $40 online.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't mind spending more.  I'm just weary of dropping $100 and having them fail because I sweat in them at the gym. 

The Bose IE's never impressed me.  I honestly thought a cheap set of M6's would be an upgrade.

I've also been looking at the Head Direct RE-0 and HifiMan RE-zero.   How much should I be looking to spend on a nice set that will be a noticeable upgrade as well as take some abuse? 

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 8
Look at the Meelectronics CX21 if you like clear sound and not too much bass. If you want more bass, consider the Meelectronics M21. These are only around $25. Don't spend much more than that for IEMs you will use in the gym. You could get better ones for when you are less active. I suggest you also get a good cheap player for the gym, such as the Sandisk Clip+($35 for the 4GB. It has a micro SDHC card slot to add memory). Don't risk a $200+ player at the gym.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 8

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 8
I have to suggest the Audio Technica CKM50.

For some reason they get no love around here....but if you can find them for $35 they're tough to beat.

The cord is short but sound signature is clean.....plenty of bass for any genre and very nice mids and highs that aren't obscured.

As described in the bigethread going on right now thats easy to find....it's like having an Audio Technica Art monitor shrunk down.....I have an ATH-A700 and the CKM50 is very similar but with more impactful bass.

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 8
id pick up the CMK50s in a heartbeat if the cable wasn't so short.  Not a fan of heavy, long extended cable either while working out.  Any other recommendations?  thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back