Help a noob out
Jan 14, 2008 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sschmeichel

Head-Fier
I am sorry if this has already been discussed. I do not know how to use the search function well enough to help me find the info I need... I hope the title has prepared you for what you will read... please... no bashing. We all start somewhere...

What is the difference between a DAC and a sound card?

If I have a DAC (plugged to the computer through a USB), then do I really need a good sound card?

(I mean, isn't a sound card really a digital audio converter itself? sorry, I know my understanding is naive)...

I want to get some nice gear for my new computer,... just doing some research on what i need to buy in terms of sound and setup.

Thanks for helping a noob out.

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 14
A DAC is a digital to analog converter. This can point to a piece of equipment, but also just a chip. A soundcard always has an on-board DAC (ie. a chip).
No, you don't need another sound card if your DAC has USB or another common interface (like fi. firewire).
Yes, but the formfactor is different. A DAC is external, while a soundcard is an add-in card. Both are similar: they produce an analog signal.
It would help if you tell us what your current setup is like, what you like about it and what not, what type of music you listen to et all.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 14
Hi,

I don't really have anything setup yet... I have used my laptop for 3 years. I have a pair of k701. I want to hook up a LD MKIV SE to it... but I also want to use my computer as a source, since that's where I will mostly be when I am at home.

I am just wondering what are the advantages of having a DAC as opposed to a sound card. I know one advantage is that DACs are normally external and sound cards are internal... but are there anymore?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my thread.

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 14
DAC is geared toward Digital to analog conversion, that's it. A sound card is a more multi tasking piece of equipment. Usually, something that is dedicated to one task will preform said task better than a multi-tasker.

Plus, most sound cards are not shielded properly, have sub-par components, and lousy DAC chips.

Jan 15, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks Dr. Strangelove,

So if a DAC ONLY does one thing... that would mean I need an amp with my DAC? or do some DACs come with an internal amp? Or should I consider getting a dedicated amp and forget the internal amp even if the DAC comes with one?

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 14
Some DACs have headphone amps bulit-in and some headphone amps have DACs.

There is a Corda Aria up for sale in the amps for sale forum I reccomend getting it before someone else does. The Aria is a headphone amp with a USB DAC. It has RCA analog ins and a USB digital input but no coaxial or optical digital ins. You only have to worry about the latter two if you want a digital signal from a CD player. You can still use an analog signal from a CD player.

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

I am just wondering what are the advantages of having a DAC as opposed to a sound card.

Well, those would be the obvious ones: dedicated, better power supply, better board layout (the size of an add-card is limited), sometimes a better DAC chip and shielding, less vibrations (of fans, optical drive, HDD, etc).

IMO most decent soundcards have excellent chips (fi. X-fi: AKM), but their implementation is simply limited by the environment they have to fit in. My modded X-fi puts up quite a good fight against my Stello DA220 and sure: it loses, but what does one expect at almost 15x the price?
So in the end, it boils down to what one is willing to spend. A relative cheap setup would be to get an OEM X-fi and mod it. A better, but also much more expensive path would be to purchase a DAC like a Stello DA100, DA220MKII, DAC1 or whatever you prefer.

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 14
What did you mod with the x-fi? how much did it cost after? sorry... with what i am currently earning... $700 big ones is kinda difficult to output... that's like 1/4 of the price of the computer i am planning to get...

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sschmeichel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the difference between a DAC and a sound card?

A DAC is just an Digital to Analog Converter.
While a sound card is much more. It have a built in DAC, but it also (at least usually) have a built in amplifier for headphone out, audio input, and more.

Quote:

If I have a DAC (plugged to the computer through a USB), then do I really need a good sound card?

Not really.
But I am sure it can be handy some time...

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

What did you mod with the x-fi? how much did it cost after?

Simple: replace front opamp with a LM4562 SOIC, and replace the power cap for a Blackgate 2200uF 16V. Mod should cost max. 20 euro, incl. delivery. If you know what you're doing DIY is the cheapest way to get into hifi regions.
See: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ho...no-56k-226975/
When connected to the PC I now use my K701 without my RPX33 amp, as I found it doesn't add as much as it used to, but the amp (and propably mainly the interconnect) does cause some loss of detail.

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 14
I have basically figured out now.. that I want a DAC... since I may also attach other devices to it?

A dedicated piece of equipment does seem better than a multi-tasker...

I am wondering about the USB connection though... I see most of you audiophiles are careful about interconnects as well... but the USB seems kinda crappy as an interconnect... will that affect anything?

Thank you for all your helpful replies!

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 14
I've put my DAC into my speakerrig, and attached the PC using USB. There's nothing wrong with USB as a means to transfer your audiostream, provided the USB implementation is done right. The big plus is that a good USB interconnect is dirt cheap, even for 5m runs. Another good way of connecting is using LAN, as in fi. the Logitech Transporter (the output section is less desirable however).
One warning: the convenience of having all my music on the PC has lowered the use of other inputs to almost 0. So if you invest heavily into the right DAC, the need to invest in a good transport is lowered noticably. IMO DACs with reclocking and either USB or LAN should be highly interesting to you.

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 14
Try the Total Bithead.
The Mobile Line - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

I don't have one myself, but I've heard some good things about it. If I were to buy an amp today, that's the one I would get. I like it because it CAN be portable if needed (run on betteries), but it is also USB.

Others here can probably provide better feedback on this item, but I think it will get you beyond the basic entry level. It certainly won't be the best piece of hardware there is though
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sschmeichel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have basically figured out now.. that I want a DAC... since I may also attach other devices to it?

A dedicated piece of equipment does seem better than a multi-tasker...

I am wondering about the USB connection though... I see most of you audiophiles are careful about interconnects as well... but the USB seems kinda crappy as an interconnect... will that affect anything?

Thank you for all your helpful replies!

I prefer the built-in headphone amp of my DA10 to using an external amp hooked up to the DA10. There is no reason two great components cannot be housed in one box.

USB isn't the best connection option but it should do for your first amp/DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back