help a noob out with reccomendations for setup plz
Feb 5, 2017 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AverageGuyNC

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! I wanted to upgrade my headphones on my computer that get daily use.( Music on YouTube and DVDs mostly). After looking for a setup with good quality and value, I got a Hifiman he400i with an O2/DAC that I really enjoy.

I put in a kinda low bid on some Fostex th 900 ($810) on Ebay and won! but here's the dilemma; the seller reterminated the connection on the factory cable and put on 4 pin xlr Neutrick balanced connector and my amp uses 1/4 inch out! The adapters for xlr are too pricey for me and I decided on switching it over to a 3.5mm so I can use it on other things as well as my amp and ordered a Viablue 3.5 connector after the praise I read on here about them.. But I have even considered buying another amp with balanced out. the oppo ha1 that he used worked great he said but its 1,200! 

So for an inexperienced person, what do I do? Buy a 2nd amp (would spend a few hundred maybe), or take it up to a local guitar store and have them solder the 3.5mm on? Ive heard that an O2/dac will work fine with the Fostex, are there any others that would really make a noticeable improvement on them? Oh, and they were upraded with Lawton leather ear cups. And I have Amazon prime music streaming that I'm considering using now on my pc.

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 10
Have not heard your headphones nor this balanced amp.

Still here is a $399 way to go with your connector.

https://schiit.com/products

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 10
Have not heard your headphones nor this balanced amp.

Still here is a $399 way to go with your connector.

https://schiit.com/products

Good idea thx! Anyone know how a jotunheim compares to an o2/dac? It would be $500 which is 2x the price of my o2/dac but that thing seems like a great product. My headphones are kinda low impedance (25 and 35 ohms) would these drive them much better

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm pretty sure it's more powerful. Just go and ask at the jotunheim thread. I have the AHD 7000s with the Asgard and really like it.

But ya, to get the balance DAC option it's another $100. Still if it works out you'll have it a long time.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 10
A lot of time a more powerful amp is not going to be needed to make the listening experience louder, it's in how it controls the bass and expands the soundstage. Still I go back and forth liking more powerful amps then still liking low power like my c421.

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #7 of 10
A lot of time a more powerful amp is not going to be needed to make the listening experience louder, it's in how it controls the bass and expands the soundstage. Still I go back and forth liking more powerful amps then still liking low power like my c421.

Well ended up purchasing the jotunheim yesterday after much thought. I'm now waiting on it to get here. Thanks again for the advice!

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #8 of 10
Well ended up purchasing the jotunheim yesterday after much thought. I'm now waiting on it to get here. Thanks again for the advice!

Wow, how exciting, did you end up with the DAC card too?

Congratulations !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back