Help a Noob make his next purchase please.
Jan 24, 2016 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

drmrwt

Head-Fier
Hi,

I have the following items and 500$ budget to make my next purchase which will give me considerable upgrade in audio quality. I was wondering do i need a new dac/amp or a new pair of cans. I mostly listen to Rap, Hip/Hop, electro, techno, pop.

I have,

1-beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohms.    
I like this sound signature over the atrio's but the bass can sometimes get a bit muffled or bloated for my liking, High end is nice and pleasent not too harsh like the atrios,

2-fiio e07k andes.
I know it is a low end dac, i don't think it drives my dt 770's to it's full potential :frowning2:....

3-future sonics atrio mg7 I find them a bit fatiguing, high end is a bit too crisp for my liking. Excellent bass none the less.  

Regards,

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 11
Maybe we could help you some more if you suggest what you do with your music and what you like.
Do you use your headphones at home or in public?
Do you just listen or do you do things with them (like working out)?
What would be your preferred type of headphone (dark, warm, v-shaped)?
Do you value portability over larger headphones or vice versa?

There are a lot of headphones and DAP's in the market so just giving a price and types of music leaves thousands of possibilities, by giving as much information as possible, it's easiest for us to give you the smallest list of choicest to help you find out what is best for you.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Hope this could help,
Nemo

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 11
  Maybe we could help you some more if you suggest what you do with your music and what you like.
Do you use your headphones at home or in public?
Do you just listen or do you do things with them (like working out)?
What would be your preferred type of headphone (dark, warm, v-shaped)?
Do you value portability over larger headphones or vice versa?

There are a lot of headphones and DAP's in the market so just giving a price and types of music leaves thousands of possibilities, by giving as much information as possible, it's easiest for us to give you the smallest list of choicest to help you find out what is best for you.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Hope this could help,
Nemo

Thank you for such a prompt reply, 

1-I use my headphones at home and in public as well. 
2-I do not work out while i am listening to music.
3-My preferred choice would be mostly neutral. (if that's the type that will go with my music)
4-I do not have any portability issue, i sometimes take out my DT 770's even.  

Yes i know a lot of things come in to play, that is why i am in need of help from this amazing community :).

Regards and cheers

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 11
I think you should look at a new DAC&Amp first. It's always best to reach the full potential of your headphones before moving on.

The Oppo HA-2 will prove a nice upgrade to your system.

Or, if you can find one in the Classifieds for the right price, the Chord Mojo.

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 11
I think you should look at a new DAC&Amp first. It's always best to reach the full potential of your headphones before moving on.

The Oppo HA-2 will prove a nice upgrade to your system.

Or, if you can find one in the Classifieds for the right price, the Chord Mojo.

Exactly the rout i thought i should take, will the chord mojo give me a noticeable gain in quality compared with the fio e07k? I found one for around 500$ but sadly i live in a 3rd world country adding shipment charges around 50$ exceeds my budget.

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 11
Both of these options will make a real difference. The Chord Mojo is the best of the two, but also the most expensive. The Oppo is a highly rated device, and will stack with your smartphone even better.

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 11
Both of these options will make a real difference. The Chord Mojo is the best of the two, but also the most expensive. The Oppo is a highly rated device, and will stack with your smartphone even better.

Thank you for your suggestion. Have you auditioned the mojo and the HA 2? is the price difference justifiable? 

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 11
I have not auditioned them.

The Mojo is currently the hottest new thing on Head-fi. Those who have it would certainly say it's worth the price.

That said, I would not feel bad at all settling on the HA-2. It's favored quite highly as well, and looks much nicer. :wink:

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 11
If you're worried about price, just remember you don't want to spend tons of money on a DAC/Amp only to buy a headphone that's far inferior, you want a balance.
I'm not saying that you need to buy the cheapest solution but you should look for a Headphone/DacAmp solution to maximize sound quality.

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 11
If you're worried about price, just remember you don't want to spend tons of money on a DAC/Amp only to buy a headphone that's far inferior, you want a balance.
I'm not saying that you need to buy the cheapest solution but you should look for a Headphone/DacAmp solution to maximize sound quality.

He already has some decent headphones. To achieve a proper upgrade from the Beyer's he'd have to spend most of his budget, and he'd find himself in the exact same dilemma. Under-powered, under-utilized.

If he upgrades the DAC and Amp right now, he'll enjoy new life out of his Beyers while he saves up for a proper headphone upgrade down the road. His system will be ready and waiting for whatever cans he chooses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back