Help a noob make a stereo system
Jun 11, 2007 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

andrus

New Head-Fier
I've just got my MS-1's a little while ago (and enjoying them except for some quality issues) and I want a good source for them other then my Zune and also a stereo
k1000smile.gif
. I'm thinking a receiver + 2 bookshelves + sound card on a minimal budget. Can't really say how much of a minimal budget but I'd say around 200-250 but being 16yo and paying for all this myself, I'd like to save as much as possible (need $$ for other stuff too
mad.gif
). How's something like this?

Using it mostly for music..

Receiver:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099394773324

Speakers:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138083489658
or
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395865160

Sound card:
M-Audio Revolution 5.1
or
Auzentech X-Mystique
or
Chaintech Av-710

Does this seem reasonable? Is it worth getting a better receiver? Or at this price range would it be better to just get a 2.1 computer sound system like Klipsch 2.1 or something?

And then what kind of wires would I need to connect it all up? I heard if you use digital to connect sound card to the receiver it doesn't make a difference in sound quality between a lower and higher end sound card? Is that right or did I misunderstand?

Thanks for any help, I'm sick of onboard + old crappy Logitech 2.1's
mad.gif
mad.gif

(And would my MS-1's sound better through this system then my Zune?)

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 13
Save your money and focus on one thing at a time. The components you've selected aren't likely to please you when compared to your headphones. The popular Klipsch 2.1 system will likely sound better than those separates.

It seems like I remember reading that most Klipsch computer speakers had an amplified headphone output--it might sound pretty decent. If not, you can always buy or make a dedicated headphone amplifier to drive your MS-1s. Since you want to save money, yours is one case where I would recommend the AV-710. It's sort of a finicky card, but it's hard to beat for less than $30.

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 13
I agree with previous posters that with limited budget you will get the best sound from headphones.

Another option is buying active monitor speakers, that way you get a lot of quality for the money spent and included amps that are made for the individual speakers. Yamaha has pretty cheap good sounding ones for example. They would likely blow most cheap "hifi" stereo systems out of the water.

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 13
The receiver has bad distortion:
Total Harmonic Distortion 1% @ 1kHz

but I wouldn't think that an amp could be made with that power so cheaply so I guess its a good deal.

Bass response is missing from the speakers.

It should sound ok though just not hi-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I wouldn't think that an amp could be made with that power so cheaply so I guess its a good deal.

If you think that amp is capable of putting out anything near 100 watts per channel, you're nuts.
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 13
Hmm.. I really don't want to spend more on audio stuff for awhile so focusing on stuff one at a time wouldn't work. And I guess it would be pretty bad without much bass so I guess I will just get the Klipschs. Just a little worried because I see they have a little bit of a QC issue. Also, what's finicky about the AV-710? I wouldn't mind too much if I spent a little bit more on the sound card.

And I really don't know what you mean by active monitor speakers but if you think they would be good for me I'd like some info on them
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 13
The NAD C325BEE integrated amp at $399 new is the very cheapest amp/receiver around that has really good sound. So in your case, it's probably not worth getting a receiver. Get good external speakers such as the Swans T-200, the powered M-audio, or Behringer powered monitors, upgrade your soundcard, and you'll be fine for a while.

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, what's finicky about the AV-710? I wouldn't mind too much if I spent a little bit more on the sound card.

Driver issues, mostly... It takes a few workarounds to get the best sound out of the card. You could look at something in Creative's X-Fi line, or something from Auzentech, or something from M-Audio (though I don't have experience with any of the three aforementioned sound card lines).

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 13
I have the Insinia speakers and they're alright, but not worth the $80 price tag they command these days (employee pricing for them is $29 a pair). At your budget I would recommend buying used speakers from ebay (if you search locally you might be able to find some good deals and save on shipping). As far as amplification goes, vintage receivers from the 80's is the best bang for the buck (Marantz, Technics, Sansui, just to name a few), you could get a 100 watt Technics for less than $30 these days, and it sounds way better than any of the Insignia receivers that you could buy new for much more.

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 13
That reminds me that I could just go for used stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll look for stuff on ebay, just not vintage (I'd rather something modern even if it sounds a bit worse).. Any particular speakers/receivers/brands I should try to look for that would be in my price range if I buy them used?

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #12 of 13
NAD, Rotel, even Outlaw might be available used in your price range. Some slightly older Yamaha receivers could be economical as well used.

Jun 16, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 13
80's is not exactly vintage... I'm quite fond of my 72' Marantz but that's another story. Some of the modern stuff can actually be less reliable due to surface mount parts, if you're handy with a soldering iron it's quite easy to repair 80's gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back