Help a Noob Decide - Mx980 vs Tm5
Apr 25, 2010 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
I've learned recently to never sway from sennheiser, they always provide

however the hype around the TM5 are pretty impressive. I want a clear bassy forward sound. Nobody has yet to review either set I wish to purchase to my liking.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 14
TM5 will be bassy alright, but I believe its mids and highs are rather laid back. I think I read somewhere that MX980 are on the analytical side and a bit lean to neutral in the bass. Consider PK1 - they are quite forward and fun sounding earbuds with excellent punchy bass. They may suit your tastes better than MX980 or TM5

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 14
Thats what I wanted to avoid, the PK3 and Pk2 are immensely overhyped. I've both the Pk3 and the sennheiser MX580...both around the same price and i find the 580 to be noticeably nicer and more punchy.

I fear the Pk1 will be the same in comparison to the 980 or Tm5. Basically ive learned to not trust yuin as theyve let me down in the pk2 and pk3.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 14
So what is it exactly that you didn't like about the PK3 and PK2? Was it just that they lacked bass depth/impact? PK1 will certianly give you deeper, more controlled bass response, but if you also don't like Yuin mids and highs, then PK1 is not for you I am afraid.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 14
I disliked the separation factor, the music bleeds together even with proper amping and is just not to my liking. Ive found the Sennheiser Mx-880 to be superior to the PK2, and the Mx-580 to be superior to the Pk3. All of which are evenly priced and rivaling each other. Well, I can't even say its my opinion, its noticeably more punchy and less hissy, the sennheisers are just nicer in every way.

The bass on the 880 smashes the pk2 with a shovel, digs a hole and throws it into the ground and dances on its grave :\

this is why I fear the pk1, everything surrounding the yuin series is just so over hyped, I just don't want anything to do with it ever again. I will not take the pk1 into consideration. I really want nothing to do with them in the slightest, but i do appreciate you trying to help
biggrin.gif

I am only interested in what I know and feel to be the nicer sets, the TM5 and the mx980

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 14
I'll still consider PK 1
smily_headphones1.gif
but I'm in the same boat as u swbf2cheater, I'm waiting if anyone here in head-fi could give a detailed review/comparison between, PK1,MX 980 and TM5

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by emti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll still consider PK 1
smily_headphones1.gif
but I'm in the same boat as u swbf2cheater, I'm waiting if anyone here in head-fi could give a detailed review/comparison between, PK1,MX 980 and TM5

+ 1. Don't scratch the PK1s off the list just because you didn't like PK2 and PK3. PK1 is in a different league entirely. It's sound sig is somewhere in between PK2 and PK3, but technically it is superior in every way - better ,extension, better detail, wider dynamic range, better clarity, more even frequency response, much larger soundstage, etc. They do need an amp to shine though.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ not from what I hear, the pk2 and pk1 in terms of sound quality are not very different, the pk1 is apparently more punchy and has a nicer bass experience.

Whoever says that is not listening carefully or running the PK1 from a really underpowered source. To my ears, PK1 is on a different level - PK2 is low-fi, PK1 is solid mid-fi. PK1 is better in every way - not just in bass. Actually, the most obvious difference is probably in soundstage size, imaging and dynamic range. PK1 just sounds way more out of the head and much more dynamic, and also has a more precise imaging.

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference isn't quite that extreme since I personally think the PK2 is awefully close to the PK1 in terms of overall sound at this point...but that's an initial impression.

Edit: I should have added that the sound from inside the room would be comparable to the PK1 and the sound from outside the room would be the PK2.

:\

which ever I get, I wont be using an amp with it, just direct Sansa Fuze/PC

this is a really tough choice

Apr 27, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've learned recently to never sway from sennheiser, they always provide

however the hype around the TM5 are pretty impressive. I want a clear bassy forward sound. Nobody has yet to review either set I wish to purchase to my liking.

I did never listen to the TM5 and so I can not compare MX 980 to TM5.
But I can tell you that MX 980 has fantastic sound.
It is more on the neutral side for my ears and so maybe not perfect for you because you wish a lot of bass if I understand right.
But maybe with foams you would be happy because bass is more strong when using the foams.
I personally listen always without foams withh all of my erabuds.
And without foams I consider bass of MX 980 as pretty neutral and also deep and from good quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back