Help a noob correctly set up a Xonar Essence STX with a Yamaha HTR 6030 and Interface with Foobar2000 remotely
Dec 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Echo Seven

New Head-Fier
Aim : To set up my PC system with a Xonar Essence STX to work with both a headphone (at the PC) with a 5.1 Stereo Amp in the living room, to be powered by a Nexus Tablet with Foobar2000.  

Issue :

1) I know that if I play a 2 channel clip, it will only go through 2 speakers, and I need to use the 'enhance' mode to get it to play as 5.1 (correct me if I am wrong).  Is that right? 

2) If I do play a 5.1 clip however, I still only get 2 channels - the Yamaha does not recognise it is a 5.1 clip.  What am I missing?  

This is my unit : (It has no TV connected presently, dedicated to sound)

This is how I am connecting it.

These are my settings 

I'll be honest, I have no idea how to best send the signal to the Yamaha.  My music is FLAC lossless.  

3) How to best interface with Foobar2000 remotely? : I am thinking of setting up a virtual machine with access to my music, powered by Foobar2000 on my PC, which can be accessed remotely (won't interfere with my gaming on the machine) and is activated by a remote desktop connection from the nexus, so I can power the music straight from my living room.  Not sure if this is the best approach - need some help.  I think the STX can also only send to EITHER headphone OR Speaker.  I'd love some suggestions from someone more experienced in these matters.

Edit : To be a little more clearer, my reasoning is that it would be nice if the audio could be run separately from my PC, so that I can be on the PC without audio music selection interfering with what I am doing.  ("Wife controls music - I control the PC" type setup).  It would be even better if I could channel the music from foobar to go through the L/R and all other sound through the headphones.  No idea if that is even possible.

The Hardware / Connections

Powerful PC using Xonar Essence STX soundcard.  Connected to Audio Technica ATH AD700x headphones on one end connected to the headphone socket on the Xonar, and on the other, using the L/R (red / white) outputs on the card to connect to the L/R (red / white) on my wall, which leads to the L/R (red/white) outputs in my living room, which I have then connected to the Yamaha as per the picture (as above).

(Note - If there is a better forum section that this, please let me know, I'm still new here.. )

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 3
If you want to send 5.1 from the computer (Essence STX) to the Yamaha, you need to use S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) from the Essence STX to the Yamaha and enable DDL (Dolby Digital Live) in the Xonar control panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back