Head-Fier
I can not decide what kind of amp to get. I have:

Shure SE530s
MacBook Pro
iPhone 3G 16gb
Denon AVR-887
Boston CR67 speakers
Infinity PS-12 Sub

Usually I listen to music through my computer/iphone hooked up to my Denon, or just straight to my SE530s. I am VERY new to amps, I've looked a little at the P-51, but I also want to get killer sound hooked into my Denon so I posted in the full-size forum. Basically what do I need for listening from my MBP/iPhone?

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 8
There are a zillion options, yes. Best would be to give some kind of price range you are comfortable with. Would you consider a tube amp? Do you want your amp to include a USB DAC?

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 8
It appears you are using your Mac as a transport and DAC, is that correct? If so, then my suggestion would be to look into improving your Dac (or CDP player) before you worry about a new headamp. The incremental benefits of a new headamp will be much larger if you have a better Dac (or CDP) as a source. I think the Dennon is just fine for your existing system.

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 8
I posted in the Portable forum too once I realized I probably wanted to move my laptop more than leave it in one place but I still want to explore all options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a zillion options, yes. Best would be to give some kind of price range you are comfortable with. Would you consider a tube amp? Do you want your amp to include a USB DAC?

I'm not familiar with the differences, what is/what are the beneifits of a tube amp? From what I've read it looks like I would want a USB DAC with the amp. Honestly for a price range I would want it to be $500 or less, since the Shure's are amazing I don't want to go all in on headphones and then get a cheap amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89
It appears you are using your Mac as a transport and DAC, is that correct? If so, then my suggestion would be to look into improving your Dac (or CDP player) before you worry about a new headamp. The incremental benefits of a new headamp will be much larger if you have a better Dac (or CDP) as a source. I think the Dennon is just fine for your existing system.

I currently listen to my music in the following ways:
MacBook Pro headphone jack -> Shure SE530s
iPhone headphone jack -> Shure SE530s
Macbook Pro headphone jack/iPhone headphone jack -> Denon -> Surround Sound

From the current way I am listening is there a better way to listen to my music? These are the ports on my computer

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 8
Since you do have a portable set-up, I think a nice portable amp with a USB DAC is what would do you the most good. Something like a Meier Audio 3Move or a Ray Samuels Audio Predator.

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Since you do have a portable set-up, I think a nice portable amp with a USB DAC is what would do you the most good. Something like a Meier Audio 3Move or a Ray Samuels Audio Predator.

Okay thanks, I have looked at the RSA Predator and the HeadAmp Pico. Half the things I read say the Pico >> Predator, and the other half are the other way. I'll read up on the Meier Audio 3Move now. Thanks!

My other quick question is how to listen through my iPhone? I have seen these cables that hook up through the bottom, what is the benefit of that?

BTW Skylab your rig pics are awesome!

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by npcraig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay thanks, I have looked at the RSA Predator and the HeadAmp Pico. Half the things I read say the Pico >> Predator, and the other half are the other way. I'll read up on the Meier Audio 3Move now. Thanks!

My other quick question is how to listen through my iPhone? I have seen these cables that hook up through the bottom, what is the benefit of that?

BTW Skylab your rig pics are awesome!

Thanks!

You want to use the bottom "dock" connector with a headphone amp since it provides a line output as opposed to amping the headphone out which isn't a good idea.

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

You want to use the bottom "dock" connector with a headphone amp since it provides a line output as opposed to amping the headphone out which isn't a good idea.

Okay cool I'll look into one of those too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back