Help a newbie with his 1st system
May 12, 2009 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

voxshall

New Head-Fier
I listen to all music Rock, Blues, Jazz, Trance etc and am looking to enter the wonderful world of hifi headphones.

I'm thinking either Grado RS1 or Stax Lambda Pro/SRD 7 MkII.

Questions for a good amp and source - can I use hifi amps with the above or do I need headphone specific amps to get the best out of the above.

Is the McCORMACK Micro Headphone Amp any good for the above.

Also what are the main things to look for as a good source are there any classic's good value to look out for.

Many Thanks

May 12, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 8
You'll need a speaker amp, receiver, or electrostatic amp for the Stax.

That amp looks interesting.

May 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 8
Opps just found out you had a source forum as well. After a bit of reading I'm thinking about using my Mac and an apogee duet as the source I play guitar and the duet will come in handy for recording what do you guys think of this paired with the stax and what amp would I need???

May 12, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 8
I would lean away from the Stax for listening to trance and rock.

May 12, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 8
The Stax is very detailed and wide open so that would lend itself to classical music. IMO, the RS-1 suits your needs better, and is much more flexible in regards to amping.

May 12, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 8
Ok I've been doing loads of searches and the more I think about it the more I'm loving the Apogee Duet. So I'm going to lower my budget and base a system around the duet.

I keep reading that high end headphones need high end components to be used with them and as the duet is low end maybe the lower end Grado's are better.

So far I like the look of MS2 and the 325is. Do you guys have an opinion on the best Grado or Alesso that would work with the Duet used as an amp.

May 12, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 8
Ok I've been doing loads of searches and the more I think about it the more I'm loving the Apogee Duet. So I'm going to lower my budget and base a system around the duet.

I keep reading that high end headphones need high end components to be used with them and as the duet is low end maybe the lower end Grado's are better.

So far I like the look of MS2 and the 325is. Do you guys have an opinion on the best Grado or Alessando that would work with the Duet used as an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back