Help a newbie purchase a high end pair of headphones + amp
Nov 21, 2014 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LuckerMonkey

New Head-Fier
This thread may seem a bit "out there" or unusual, but I assure you I am dead serious. I have a lot of money and I want to get some really nice headphones, but I'm not sure where to start. I currently own no audio equipment, so I'm looking for advice on a good headphone + amp setup (or anything else I may need). Here are the specifics on my situation:

1. My budget is $6,000, although the cheaper the better. In other words, if I could spend $6,000 and it would only be a negligible improvement over a setup that costs $3,000, I would rather spend $3000. Like I said, I really don't know anything about high end audio equipment, so I don't know how far $6,000 would go compared to $3,000.
  2. I would like to at least be able to take the setup to other rooms in the house and hook it up to a different computer.
  3. I will be using flac audio files on my PC as the source of my listening.
  4. I primarily listen to classic rock and jazz, although I do occasionally listen to newer music like dubstep.
  5. I'm almost always in quiet, enclosed environments, so open style is best for me.

I'm curious to know what you guys (who know more about this stuff than me) would purchase as a total audio solution with a budget of $6,000 (or less). I will take all of your opinions very seriously. I'll be buying around Christmas time.

Thanks in advance,
Tyler

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 4
$6000 is a lot of money. My best advice would be for you to go out and try some systems out before you buy. You will need a DAC for your system as well it seems. It seems like you want the best of the best headphones. There is a buying guide for summit headphones in the Wiki tab, i suggest you check that out if you havent already. For your genres I would steer more toward the LCD 3s but listen to them before you buy. As for DACs and amps, you really just have to find what you like with your headphones. Try them out at meets, conventions, or just a local hifi store if they have headphones. Good luck!

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 4
  $6000 is a lot of money. My best advice would be for you to go out and try some systems out before you buy. You will need a DAC for your system as well it seems. It seems like you want the best of the best headphones. There is a buying guide for summit headphones in the Wiki tab, i suggest you check that out if you havent already. For your genres I would steer more toward the LCD 3s but listen to them before you buy. As for DACs and amps, you really just have to find what you like with your headphones. Try them out at meets, conventions, or just a local hifi store if they have headphones. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Absolutely I plan on trying them out before making any decisions. I actually made this thread primarily with the intention of trying to learn about what the best options are - so I don't sound like a complete dummy if I try and talk to someone who sells these things! What would you recommend as far as resource for trying to locate a local hi-fi store? What are they usually called? I'm in Las Vegas and I'm not sure where to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back