Help a newbie out please!
Feb 9, 2012 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vese

100+ Head-Fier
Price range is $300 give or take, it may stretch depending on how badly I want the headphones you guys recommend.
Music ranges from Rap to alternative to electronic genres
Looking for isolation with good all-around quality, comfort is a factor too since I listen for quite a few hours at a time, style isn't the largest factor but I dont want anything REALLY ugly >_>

Edit:also, if you could, recommend an amp with the headphones? The only amp I'm looking at atm is the FiiO E7.

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
I love my Beyerdynamic 1350s. Some people find them uncomfortable though.

Ill take a look at them. Can someone tell me how the isolation is on Q701s by the way? They look like they would have pretty terrible isolation but I cant really tell. Taking a more serious look at the Denon AHD2000's at the moment, too..

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I have the K702s (nearly identical to the Q701s). You are correct in your assumption that the isolation is terrible. 

Do you have an opinion on Fanny Wang DJ 2001's? Im REALLY happy with their look and apparently they have good sound quality. Do you have an opinion on the FiiO E7?

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 8
The D2000 is a more fun headphone and one my choices for long listening sessions as it is meant for more random genres of listening compared to the K701 and Q701.  The D2000 isolate quite well compared to the K701, but this should not be a surprise as we are comparing an open design to a closed can.

I think you should first try a pair of HD-25-1-ii from Sennheiser.  They have a similar sound signature to the DT 1350 from beyer and the V-Moda M80, but cost less.  They isolate really well for an on-ear design and remain a great pick for a good all around headphone.  It may be a classic, but it is just that for good reason.

The great thing and perhaps obscure thing about the HD-25-1-ii is that is has a very different sonic signature compared to the other Sennheiser brethren.  The HD-25-1-ii has an up-front sound as well as deep bass impact.  Perhaps the imaging leaves a bit to improve upon, but for the price you are going to be hard pressed to find something better.

If it matters I find the V-Moda M80 a slight step up from the HD-25-1-ii, but the differences can be subtle to some.

At the top of this tier remain the DT 1350.  They are a very nice sounding headphone.  The comfort issues can be remedied with a little adjustment and know how.  I ended up not liking the slightly recessed mid-range, but over all they sound amazing.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 8
I think Im going to get the k271s, FiiO E7 amp, this is $220 on amazon and should be good enough to satisfty me for a while, people are saying they isolate really well with good quality.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Do you have an opinion on Fanny Wang DJ 2001's? Im REALLY happy with their look and apparently they have good sound quality. Do you have an opinion on the FiiO E7?

Sadly no experience, and therefor no opinion, on either of those. FiiO seems to be widely discussed on the forum though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back