Help a newbie out, please?
May 8, 2011 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

stlblue

New Head-Fier
I may be moving, and thus would have to start taking the train to work. I'd like to find a good player w/ the following options:

1. Good sound quality
  2. FLAC/WAV
  3. Wi-Fi
  4. Reliable/easy to use
  5. Good amp section would be nice, since an amp would have to wait 'til later (and I'd prefer not to have one due to size/cost)
  6. Small size for running (down the list)

From my research, I guess an Android-based system might be the most versatile? Are iPods/Zunes even worth considering for sound quality? Headphones would be purchased to fit the player chosen.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

May 8, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 11
Wi-fi, meaning you want a PDA?  Generally you have to sacrifice sound quality once you start adding features like this.  Something like the clip+ or sansa fuze would definitely fit all of those criteria perfectly except for that one.  I'm pretty sure some Cowon players are just android PDAs with good sound hardware/software, so you could check those out.  iPods don't have bad audio quality but it definitely takes a secondary role compared to the rest of the stuff it offers.

May 8, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 11
I was looking at the Cowon D3 & the Sony X series (I guess they are not sold anymore?), but not I thing I am looking at the Cowon J3 & HiFiMan 601. It would be nice to have Wi-Fi, but I guess any smartphone I get in the future will take care of that.

May 8, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 11
I second the Clip+ or Fuze as suggested by DaBomb77766. The Wi-Fi on the Sony X isn't exactly a selling point, so if you want high Wi-Fi functionality, don't get the Walkman X. As for your new comparison regarding non-WiFi players, specifically Cowon J3 and HiFiMan HM-601, I haven't heard those two before.

May 9, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 11
Note that a rockboxed Sansa fuze/clip+ will have more features, like FLAC playback and the like.  It's definitely recommended you install rockbox on it if you get one.  Even though they do look somewhat small and cheap, a ton of users here swear by them.  I haven't tried one myself though, so I'm just going from what others are saying...but what others say is very positive.  I really should get one some day though, just for the tiny form factor...definitely more functional than a shuffle, at any rate.

May 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 11
Cowon X7, Samsung Galaxy S 4, Sony X1060, Creative X-Fi 2.

May 10, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 11
Have a look at the Archos 32it if you want light weight. 
- It has WiFi.
- It plays FLAC and WAV
- Easy as any other android device to use.
- Lightest you'll find for the features included.
- No amp needed to drive any of my headphones, but has possible line-out over optional A/V cable it supports.

May 10, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 11
Sincerely appreciate all the input. I decided to go w/ the Cowon J3. I figured I could get Wi-Fi on my next smartphone. As soon as I get the unit I'll be asking you guys which IEM's match well w/ it.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 11
Yeah, the J3 is a solid choice. Good luck!

May 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Go for the J3,it sounds awesome and you won't be needing an amp as long as you set it to non european function.
You can adjust the eq to fit your sound taste with good battery life and a micro sd slot to expand the capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back