Help a Newbie Find - Entry Level Amps for K701
Mar 14, 2008 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

kwokinator

New Head-Fier
I am new to this forum and I think it's great to see so many music lovers out there like me! Reading about the different types of headphones made me so pumped, so I decided to purchase the AKG K701 today!
tongue.gif

However, I do not know much about amps. It would be appreciated if you could suggest entry-level amps that would work well with these headphones.

I'm hoping to spend less than $150(200 max if it's a must?) used/new. --- Also I was wondering if these would work well with Little Dot II+?... or with the budget I have, would it be better to use a portable one?

Thanks in Advance

Adam

-----------
Here is a list of economical amps that can give enough power to the K701. It is also my list of candidates!

1. Zero DAC/AMP - $140USD + no shipping

2. Xin Super Micro IV - $160 + shipping (can only find them used)

3. Little Dot MK III TUBE AMP $200USD, no shipping

4. Pico Canamp $299 + $25 shipping... expensive but really good reviews

5. Heed Canamp - approx $350 Used... expensive but really good reviews

Mar 15, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 32
You're not really going to find a good amp for the K701 sub-150...

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 32
Thanks for the advice, but right now I'm trying not to spend too much because I have to pay for my tuition...

Isn't there an amp that can allow me to see some potential? So will the Little Dot Family not work well? Or how about portable amps that skylab have made reviews for...?

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwokinator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am new to this forum and I think it's great to see so many music lovers out there like me! Reading about the different types of headphones made me so pumped, so I decided to purchase the AKG K701 today!
tongue.gif

However, I do not know much about amps. It would be appreciated if you could suggest entry-level amps that would work well with these headphones.

I'm hoping to spend less than $100(150 max if it's a must?) used/new. --- Also I was wondering if these would work well with Little Dot II+?... or with the budget I have, would it be better to use a portable one?

Thanks in Advance

Adam

I think a used LD 2++ should be OK, 'cause even though it won't be enough for K701, you can still enjoy the pair while saving for later loss
biggrin.gif
(the K701 itself is wonderful already)

Mar 15, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 32
Home amp>portable amp IMO. I would stay away from portable amps unless you're going to use your headphones in portable setting.
I liked Millet Hybrid DIY with K701 - They go for 150-200$

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 32
Unfortunately, I think you'll be pretty unhappy with your K701 and any commercial amps in your price range. I haven't heard the LD amps, but my K701 did not like being driven by either a SuperMini III or a Porta Corda (they sounded OK, but the K701 was definitely not at its best). If you can DIY, then you have more options. I use a PPAv2 with my K701 and like it a lot.

Mar 15, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Corda Arietta. Check with Jan Meier @ Meier audio, or look for a used one, or check this one out:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/he...-trade-305505/
Don't buy a portable amp. Make sure you buy the K701 for as cheap as possible (e.g. ebay, amazon) to save a few bucks for the amp.

I tried Arietta and it was quite unimpressive IMO - I had to switch to BADA PH-12 after that.

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by grenert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, I think you'll be pretty unhappy with your K701 and any commercial amps in your price range. I haven't heard the LD amps, but my K701 did not like being driven by either a SuperMini III or a Porta Corda (they sounded OK, but the K701 was definitely not at its best). If you can DIY, then you have more options. I use a PPAv2 with my K701 and like it a lot.

Thanks, I will look into PPAv2 reviews!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Corda Arietta. Check with Jan Meier @ Meier audio, or look for a used one, or check this one out:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/he...-trade-305505/
Don't buy a portable amp. Make sure you buy the K701 for as cheap as possible (e.g. ebay, amazon) to save a few bucks for the amp.

I'm glad I purchased the K701 already and they are currently being shipped to my place. Apparently, the production line for them have stopped to make way for the new K702.

As for the Arietta, I will check that out as well!
wink.gif

----

I've been reading up on Little Dot MK IIIs!!! and it seems that many are impressed by its performance, but I don't know if it would work well with the K701s...

The reason I'm looking at this right now is because I can have a friend who can do local pick up with them, which saves me about 50 dollars!!!

They will cost $200.00USD(haha i keep increasing my budget... this is not looking good
frown.gif
)
Completely brand new and I doubt I can find it cheaper for used because of shipping...

A side question: is tube rolling difficult - for a newbie like me? I really don't want to destroy my first amp ...

Anyway, thanks for the great suggestions guys! Keep them coming!
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #11 of 32
I don't have a lot to input other than the iBasso amps get a lot of good comments (the P2 in particular for your price range), or there is the M3... Both are portable, desktop amps are usually better if you don't need portable, but to be honest I can't think of any good desktop amps within that price range.

Really I'm just posting to say: AKG k702, whoa!?

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have a lot to input other than the iBasso amps get a lot of good comments (the P2 in particular for your price range), or there is the M3... Both are portable, desktop amps are usually better if you don't need portable, but to be honest I can't think of any good desktop amps within that price range.

Really I'm just posting to say: AKG k702, whoa!?

I plan to use these headphones inside my house only... are those portable amps better than the previously quoted desktop ones?

Check out this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/k70...ml#post3939397

2 Months till their launch?
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwokinator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan to use these headphones inside my house only... are those portable amps better than the previously quoted desktop ones?

Generally, a home amp will be better than a portable with the k701...but...I use a Headamp Pico with k701 and they sound VERY good. I would say the Pico is the *entry* level for amps to drive k701.

Sorry to say this, but...choosing the k701 creates serious demands on getting at least a decent amp. Decent amp for k701 at $150? I don't think so.

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 32
Well if you must, the C&C XO (portable amp) maybe something you can consider... its around the $200 mark. It can push the k701, and its appreciable for portable equipment... but i agree with what people say here... at $150... max... you won't get much out of the k701.

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 32
Methinks you trapped yourself in a corner here, buying expensive 'phones w/o regarding the value of an equally performing amp to go with it.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back