Help a newbie decide on a decent upgrade
Nov 24, 2005 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JPB

New Head-Fier
This is my first post to this forum. I apologize for any ignorance.

I am looking to listen to some music through headphones. Right now, I have a Rotel RCD-971 CD player, Krell KAV-300i integrated amplifier, and B&W DM604S2 digital monitors.

I also have a Panasonic SL-S491C portable CD player, and JVC HA-G55 headphones**.

I listen to mostly baroque music (orchestral, chamber, and solo), and power metal (Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Hammerfall, etc.).

I have tried connecting my headphones to the Tape Out on the Krell, and also to the output on the Rotel. They both sound the same . . . not quite loud enough, but fairly loud, still. I tried connecting the headphones to my Panasonic portable CD player. There is more volume, but the sound starts to break up when it is on 10.

Here is my question: I want a louder, and clearer sound. What should I do? Buy a headphone amp? Buy a cheap receiver with a Headphone out? Buy a better set of headphones and use either my portable CD player, or my Rotel, or my Krell? Buy a headphone amp, and keep my phones? Buy a headphone amp and buy new phones, too? What option do you think would give my the most noticeable improvement?

My budget for this project should not exceed $300 Canadian. Any suggestions? Sorry if this was kind of confusing?

Thanks,

Jody

**Cost was about $60 Canadian. Specs below:

Large 50 mm-dia. driver unit with powerful neodymium magnet for dynamic
digital sound

Soft-Comfort Fit Headband for perfect fit without any adjustment

OFC cord delivers accurate sound signals

Single cord won't interfere with listening

Specifications: Driver Unit: 50 mm dia
Frequency Response: 12-25,000 Hz
Nominal Impedance: 32 ohms
Sensitivity: 110 dB/1 mW
Cord Length 11.48 ft (3.5 m)
Max. Input Capability: 100 mW
Weight (w/o Cord): 9.52 oz (270 g)
Plug: Gold Plated
Accessory: Plug adapter

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 12
my first headphones/amp were some sennheiser hd212s and a cmoy amp. Its all been gravy since then...

definitely check out some senns hd 212/hd497, those are the phones that most people start out with, it seems. Something cheap like a cmoy or mint should also work nicely.

Nov 24, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 12
Bump?

Nov 24, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 12
Go and buy the PAV2 amp (Gary ships them to the USA from Canada for $60 including a charger) then get a Grado, preferably the SR-225 (sells for $200 in the USA).

Another option is to get the AKG K701 at the intro price of +/-$300. Wait a few months and invest in a high quality amp (+/-350) such as a HeadAmp AE-1, Ray Sammuel SR-71 or The Hornet.

Nov 25, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 12
Hey Jody,
Welcome to Head-fi...no offense to the guys who posted before me, but I have to disagree with their recommendations...
I think the Senn models will be sub-par for you, and I dont know that any Grado will suit Baroque too well-IMO, not enough soundstage.
You have a similar problem to me-you like music at the edge of two seperate extremes. Your best bet would be to have one headphone for rock and the like (metal), and another for classical, jazz, etc.
How much is 300 Canadian in American dollar?
I think ill be able to help you out a bit more.

Nov 25, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 12
K Jody,
$265 is more than enought to work with.
Im going to suggest what I always do, which buy some tester model phones now and upgrade later. When I say "tester" by no means do I mean a poor performing headphone, quite the contrary. What I mean, is to not put all your bread in one basket so to speak (into one headphone) when your not even sure what sonic signature youll enjoy most.
So, what to do?
As I mentioned above, youre best move is to have two headphones, both very different, very good performing cans each targeted to specific musical genres.

1)Grado sr-80-considered one of the best sub $100 cans on the planet. Known specifically for use with rock, metal, hardcore and the likes. A forward sounding headphone, aggressive "in your head" sound with bright punchy highs, perfect mids and chunky bass. Juts a load of fun to listen to; any Grado is a staple in any collection.
Cost: $95 new
Ohms(impedence):32-therefore DOES NOT require an amp an will run perfectly from an IPOD. My first headphone and my baby
biggrin.gif

2)Sennheiser hd555-a comfy, laid back, warm sounding can-IMO ideal for classical, jazz, ambient and electronic. Less bright than the Grados and maybe less fatiuging as well. Good for long listening sessions. Some would say a more detailed can with much needed "soundstage" as compared to the Grado. A high-end can and a great intro to the Sennheiser line.
Cost:$110 new
Ohms(50)-also does not need an amp, but will benefit from one if used.

These two will cover your bases and will give you a nice and thorough intro into the world of highend cans. From these two, you will be able to figure out what "signature" you enjoy more. As long as they are kept in good shape, they will hold a solid resale value. At a later date you may want to sell one or both, and invest in a more expensive can (inevitable
biggrin.gif
).

As for an amp, save your money. You dont need one.
Im sure youll be more than pleased with sound and quality of the above; feel free to ask away if you need more help.
Good Luck, and sorry about your wallet.

Nov 25, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 12
Listening test results and my purchases:

Just got back from Audio Ark. I took my portable Panasonic CD player and my $60 JVC headphones (32 Ohm) along with a selection of power metal (Blind Guardian), opera (Joan Sutherland Christmas recital), and some solo guitar (transcriptions of Irish harp music on steel-string guitar).

I asked to demo their cheapest headphone amp and their cheapest integrated amp with headphone out. So, I demoed the Pro-ject Headbox at $349, and the Cambridge Audio azur 540A at $490. I used my Panasonic portable as the source for all the listening.

The Cambridge beat the snot out of the Headbox, in my opinion. The Headbox had not much more volume than the headphone out on my Panasonic portable -- kind of disappointing for a dedicated headphone amp. The sound on the Headbox was cleaner than on the Panasonic portable, though. The Cambridge has much more volume than the Headbox, and it sounded fuller to me. I don't have a very good ear, though.

The headphones:

They only sell Grado at Audio Ark. I tried the 60 and the 125. Right away, I noticed a huge difference between them and the JVC HA-G55. The JVC sounded muddy and flat in comparison. The highs were not there, nor were the mids. I immediately knew I was in for some new phones at that point. I liked the 60 better for metal, but found that the 125 had a slight edge on the opera. The 125 was also more comfotable. The 60 was $127 and the 125 was $219. I decided to go for the 60 because it did a noticeably "better" job on the metal, and still did really well on the opera, and solo guitar, in my opinion.

So, I bargained for a while and went home with the Grado 60 ($106), and the Cambridge azur 540A ($410). My source will be my Rotel RCD-971. I am sure that I could have got them cheaper if I had ordered online. Even after bargaining, the prices are not that great. Oh, well. I appreciate that they gave me a dedicated listening room for as long as I wanted, let me try everything I wanted, didn't cut me down for bringing my low-end gear, and stayed past closing for me.

I exceeded my budget by $250. Oops. Sorry about the wallet, indeed.
orphsmile.gif

Nov 25, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #9 of 12
Congratulations on the SR60! That is as good as an entry-point to the world of Head-fi as it can get. But I think you have may paid too much for the SR60. You can get them online for about $60. If you can, I suggest you return the one you have to the store and save some money by buying online.

Nov 25, 2005 at 9:25 AM Post #10 of 12
human: Grado prices are vastly higher everywhere outside the U.S. - Grado don't allow international sales, and _all_ the authorised dealers charge very high prices - and it's always nice to buy from the stores to keep them open, especially if you take advantage of their services. Remember the price he quoted is CDN$, in which case it's not a _bad_ deal. I paid about that much for my SR80s off eBay, after factoring in shipping and customs.

Nov 25, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

Now, if I just play my music loud enough through the Grados late at night when everyone is sleeping, then maybe my wife will tell me to go out a buy a closed phone. Then, I'll have two sets!
very_evil_smiley.gif

[Actually, you don't have to play the 60s very loud for others to hear. They are very open.]

Nov 25, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JPB
So, I bargained for a while and went home with the Grado 60 ($106), and the Cambridge azur 540A ($410). My source will be my Rotel RCD-971. I am sure that I could have got them cheaper if I had ordered online. Even after bargaining, the prices are not that great. Oh, well. I appreciate that they gave me a dedicated listening room for as long as I wanted, let me try everything I wanted, didn't cut me down for bringing my low-end gear, and stayed past closing for me.

That kind of service is worth paying a bit extra for, IMHO. You can read Head-Fi all you want, but in the end there's no substitute for actually hearing the equipment for yourself with the type of music that you listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back