help a newb out... ety er4's
Oct 14, 2002 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

secretasianman

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks to you guys, I now have Senn MX500's, KSC-35's, el-cheapo Sony's (for comp use), and a set of HP890's and AT W100's on the way. I thought I was on my way to audio bliss, but there's a bit of a problem.

My roommate got a set of Logitech Z-560's (read: 13" subwoofer). Meaning that all listening will have to be done outside in quiet rooms (study lounges) and away from my computer. Now that the HP890's and W100's
frown.gif
are pretty much out of the picture, I'm thinking of the holy grail of isolation and portable listening - Ety ER-4P's.

So here are my questions for team Ety:
- is my portable setup right now (CT470 line-out => Fixup Mini amp) worthy of the Ety's? I've heard it said that Ety's are fully enjoyed on home equipment. To what extent is this true?
- is there a portable solution significantly better out there or about to come out? MP3 or CDP considered, the smaller the better. <$200 for the source. I will also take amp suggestions. Or should I just invest in a bag?

Thank you.

Beating myself with D-25s for helping my roommate choose the speakers,
- Ed

Oct 14, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 7
HI: If you get the ety er-4p and use a pcdp or a mini disc you might not even need an amp but the FIXUP super mini or mini amp would be great and have those er-4p rocking.

Oct 15, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 7
My 4Ps sound good straight out of my SlimX; using the line out to fixup mini to ety's should should great. And you can always upgrade later
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 7
The ER-4Ps sound good out of the headphone jack from my E909 and N1 minidisc player and recorder, respectively. When fixup's super mini amp is chained to the headphone out, output is even better, with tighter bass and a more open soundstage. Even better, however, is fixup's amp connected to the line out of my PCDP (a D-EJ721) and N1, the combination of which dissipates what warmness is imparted through the headphone amp, producing a clearer and more neutral sound. The differences were at first subtle, as my entry into amps and higher quality headphones is a recent phenomenon. The differences are now quite noticeable, enough so that I'm thinking of chucking the E909, which I never seem to use anymore since it lacks a dedicated line out.

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 7
Well, so far so good... but now I have some more ety questions...

What kinda music do you guys prefer with the etys? I hear they have great attack and instrument separation (ability to focus on one instrument or just enjoy the big picture), which sounds like exactly what I want. How are rock/classical on these phones? I'm assuming that they aren't well suited for trance/hip-hop type stuff, but that's why God invented the DT770's, right?

Also, what kinda accessories might I also be interested in? I'm thinking of Fixup's 4p-4s converter, but aren't there other things - fresh tips, etc. that I'll need?

Thanks for humoring me thus far
smily_headphones1.gif

- Ed

Oct 15, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 7
Well I'm a little late to this party, but I can tell you this, if you buy the 4P's you will not regret it. I've used them with the SlimX, but they were better with an amp. (TAH, then a META42) I'm using them with an iPod now and they're great. (Straight out of the Pod. But again, better with an amp. With the META42 I use the 4P>4S adapter cable) I've listened to both rock and classical through them and they are incredible. I'm using the Ety adapter cable, but Fixup's cable has gotten good reviews. The tips should last you a good long time, just keep'em clean, they shouldn't give you any trouble. Enjoy !

Edit, sorry, depends which tips you are using. I use the white silicone tips and they're pretty durable. The foamies will need to be replaced on a regular basis from what I've read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back