Help a new guy with open-back headphone selection.
Jul 19, 2017 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Anti~matt~er

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones to suit an open office environment. I'd like to listen to a wide variety of music (classic rock, electronic, folk, podcasts, etc.) at a reasonable volume level without becoming isolated from those around me or disturbing someone sitting a few feet away. I'm not an audiophile, but I've had experience with several sets of closed-back, studio-style cans (AT-M50s as well as a few mid-range products from Sennheiser and Sure). Based on how well the closed-back headphones isolated external noise I'm wondering if open-back or semi-open headphones will meet my needs. Would either of these allow me to hear a conversation with someone in the same room? Please take a look at my top choices and let me know what you think.

Note: assume that the main sources will be an iPhone or stock PC sound card.

AKG K240: semi-open - $65

Pros: priced well within budget, replacable cable (nerd-points for mini-xlr)
Cons: may not be open enough, "studio" look, reports of quality control issues

Sennheiser HD 598 SR: open-back - $165

Pros: remote w/ mic, replacable cable, professional look
Cons: priced at upper end of budget, may be too open, plastic parts (durability questions)

Beyerdynamic DT990 - 32 Ohm: open-back $190

Pros: "replacable" cable, reasonably professional look, reported durable
Cons: priced a bit above budget, may be too open, white cups will get dirty faster

Thanks,
Matt

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 18
I had the AKG K240 and the HD598 years ago. I do prefer the HD 598. It's airy and enjoyable. The treble MIGHT be spiky at times if you're uncomfortable with it.

Many still call it the starting headphone to audiophile territory

The HD598 is open enough so sound does leak out at higher volumes. The good thing is, it is not isolated so it might work in your situation. You would still be able to hear colleagues communicating with you.

Jul 19, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 18
The DT990 is a great headphone. But certainly not to open. It's open back, and not as isolating as a closed headphone, but it does not leak sound that much. On the flip side, hearing what's going on around you, even at medium levels, is sometimes difficult. If hearing your surrounds is a priority i'd rather look at sennheiser and akg. They are airier in that regard.

Jul 19, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for the quick replies.

I saw some posts suggesting that 558s could be modded to 598 specs. So far I'm leaning towards either 598s or modded 558s since they will be the most open. I haven't heard anyone complain that they're "too open."

Any comments on durability? I'm planning to leave them in a locked drawer in the office, taking them home from time to time. Not a very demanding life but I figure it's good to ask.

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 18
I had the HD598 for 5 years. Other than the headband's skin becoming a little flaky, it's still in perfect condition

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 18
My HD598 are three years old and used pretty much daily. They are in like-new condition except for slight wear and discoloration on the headband. I will say they do leak sound pretty markedly, so if you are using them in an office at normal listening levels, people are very likely to be hearing your music. FWIW.

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 18
+1 to HD598s

Sennheiser actually just released a new version (HD598sr, these are the ones you're looking at) which are effectively identical but look nicer (imo, im sure here are people who like the uber-plush and ivory looks more than me) and are more comfortable (I've seen the headband padding decay significantly on well used pairs). The original HD598 and HD598se have this sort of poofy air-ride padding at the top which many people report decay, the new version (hopefully) doesn't.

My main argument against the AKG pair is "a cheap person always pays twice"
It is definitely much better to spend more now for a better pair than to buy a cheap pair which will need to be replaced sooner and won't sound as good.
E.g. if you plan on spending a total of $300 on audio equipment within the next three years it's better to buy a good $300 pair of headphones right away (or if you don't have the money, just wait till you do, it's almost always worth it) which would last the whole three years than it would be to buy a $150 pair and then when they break half way through year two you have to spend another $150 (or more) to replace them, basically leaving you down $300 on headphones worth half that.
Basically; don't buy cheap headphones (my basic philosophy is if it costs less than $150 it isn't worth buying, when it comes to cans, that is).

I personally have never tried DT990s so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's my two cents on the topic, hope it helps!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 18
Another option not put out here is the Philips SHP9500. Just change out the earpads to something like the Brainwavz hybrids. SHP9500 has been from $50-$60 regularly, and a good set of earpads can range around the $20-$30 mark. Also the better earpads brings up the bass response which is the only "weakness" to the SHP9500 and that is just barely.

http://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/philips/shp9500-hifi-precision-stereo

Just for reference to the frequency response chart of the SHP9500.

Newegg for Philips:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

Brainwavz normal earpads from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFDT894

Brainwavz Hyrbid pads from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 18
I had the AKG K240 and the HD598 years ago. I do prefer the HD 598. It's airy and enjoyable. The treble MIGHT be spiky at times if you're uncomfortable with it.

Many still call it the starting headphone to audiophile territory

The HD598 is open enough so sound does leak out at higher volumes. The good thing is, it is not isolated so it might work in your situation. You would still be able to hear colleagues communicating with you.
The 598 was my first headphone when I started getting into the hobby, but I never felt the treble was anywhere close to too much. It has a clear upper end but doesn't get annoying at all to my ears. It's a very pleasant pair of headphones overall. Not much bass but the bass is tight and very balanced. I think it'd be perfect for your situation! It's quite professional looking as well

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 18
I have a pair of these on the way. After seeing Z's review on YouTube. I couldn't pass it up given the price. Lol
Another option not put out here is the Philips SHP9500. Just change out the earpads to something like the Brainwavz hybrids. SHP9500 has been from $50-$60 regularly, and a good set of earpads can range around the $20-$30 mark. Also the better earpads brings up the bass response which is the only "weakness" to the SHP9500 and that is just barely.

http://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/philips/shp9500-hifi-precision-stereo

Just for reference to the frequency response chart of the SHP9500.

Newegg for Philips:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

Brainwavz normal earpads from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFDT894

Brainwavz Hyrbid pads from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 18
+1 on SHP9500s, also a very very good option (probably the only sub-$150 pair of cans I'd recommend next to the ATH-M40Xs)

Another option not put out here is the Philips SHP9500. Just change out the earpads to something like the Brainwavz hybrids.
As a side note, I thought it was basically impossible to put pad mods on the SHP9500. What changed?

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 18
+1 on SHP9500s, also a very very good option (probably the only sub-$150 pair of cans I'd recommend next to the ATH-M40Xs)

As a side note, I thought it was basically impossible to put pad mods on the SHP9500. What changed?

Instructional video showing how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back