help a new guy out - audio source?
Mar 16, 2016 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

seals

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm looking into getting a pair of HD600s. I plan using these primarily while I am working on a laptop (macbook air) while playing 320kpbs - losseless files on them. Is there some way I can plug an amp/dac into my laptop, and then plug the headphones into the amp/dac? If so, would the laptop's likely non-ideal sound hardware severely limit sound quality, or would the dac make up for this?

Thank you! 

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 5
  I'm looking into getting a pair of HD600s. I plan using these primarily while I am working on a laptop (Macbook air) while playing 320kpbs - losseless files on them. Is there some way I can plug an amp/dac into my laptop, and then plug the headphones into the amp/dac? If so, would the laptop's likely non-ideal sound hardware severely limit sound quality, or would the dac make up for this?

Apple products usually come with decent built in audio hardware (it better for the price you pay).
But you can get stuff better then what comes built into the Macbook Air.
Most external USB DACs or USB DAC/headphone amplifiers will work fine with an Apple computer (laptop or desktop).
Just plug it into the Apple computer's USB port and the external audio device should automatically become the default audio device.

Are you looking for something that is easy to carry around, with the Macbook air, or more like a AC powered desktop DAC/amp?
Budget?

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 5

Apple products usually come with decent built in audio hardware (it better for the price you pay).
But you can get stuff better then what comes built into the Macbook Air.
Most external USB DACs or USB DAC/headphone amplifiers will work fine with an Apple computer (laptop or desktop).
Just plug it into the Apple computer's USB port and the external audio device should automatically become the default audio device.

Are you looking for something that is easy to carry around, with the Macbook air, or more like a AC powered desktop DAC/amp?
Budget?

So to be clear, the external DAC/amp essentially bypasses the computer's sound hardware?

I'll be using it at my desk at my house and office. I'll be transporting it between the two locations every once in a while, so I don't want something the size of a refrigerator, but size isn't alllll that big of an issue. Below $300 for budget - Ideally $200, but would be willing to go more if it would have that big of a difference in quality. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by seals /img/forum/go_quote.gif

help a new guy out - audio source?

OK, first off...there's a forum just for Source units, which includes either the transport (ie a dedicated device or any kind of computer sending out digital files to a DAC) as well as DACs. If you're asking about a DAC-HPamp unit, it can also go into the amplifier forum, if the question is more about the amplifier section, ex. if it has enough power for a certain headphone.

http://www.head-fi.org/f/7/dedicated-source-components
http://www.head-fi.org/f/5/headphone-amps-full-size

Don't start a new thread, I'll report this (don't take that to mean it will result in punitive action, it's just the fastest way to get a Mod's attention - I report my own double posts to get deleted faster) and have it transferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seals /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm looking into getting a pair of HD600s. I plan using these primarily while I am working on a laptop (macbook air) while playing 320kpbs - losseless files on them. Is there some way I can plug an amp/dac into my laptop, and then plug the headphones into the amp/dac?

DACs nowadays tend to prefer USB. It's a lot easier finding a DAC or DAC-HPamp with only USB than it is finding one with just SPDIF nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If so, would the laptop's likely non-ideal sound hardware severely limit sound quality, or would the dac make up for this?

The signal leaving the laptop via USB (or when applicable, SPDIF) will be digital, and ideally you transmit via digital so that the analog signal will be handled by proper hardware and within the shortest signal path (like in terms of very long cables). The only way hardware would be detrimental with USB is if there's some kind of issue with USB power, which is why after a lot of problems with them motherboard manufacturers for example have designed theirs to deliver consistent power even if you hook up several high-power consumption devices (like 2.5in external drives) into all USB ports.

Past that the problem won't be hardware but software, most commonly the drivers. It's not that common among all USB DACs to have an issue but when it does have a software problem it's the driver. Macs usually don't have as much of a problem as Windows though - native Windows drivers don't support many high res formats and DACs (ie even if you're not using high res files but the DAC and its receiver chip does then it will require drivers) and you need to download the specific drivers, and sometimes they have issues on some computers or some apps. I have one that works on all player apps but YouTube and other streamed content don't.

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 5
  So to be clear, the external DAC/amp essentially bypasses the computer's sound hardware?
I'll be using it at my desk at my house and office. I'll be transporting it between the two locations every once in a while, so I don't want something the size of a refrigerator, but size isn't alllll that big of an issue. Below $300 for budget - Ideally $200, but would be willing to go more if it would have that big of a difference in quality. 

The USB DAC (or DAC/amp) bypasses the computer's sound hardware.
If your Mac computer has an optical output, that can also be used to connect to an external DAC.
Not sure what audio setting are involved in using optical as an output.
On PC's optical output works with the on-board audio hardware, assume Macs are the same.

Might try reading up and asking on this thread about recommend amplifiers for driving the HD600.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/538255/sennheiser-hd-600-impressions-thread

options for DAC/amp.
Hifimediy Sabre U2 USB DAC, $59 + shipping ($8)
Bravo Ocean Tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier, $120.

Here is a used Schiit stack (USB/Modi/Magni), current bid is $188 (+ $20 shipping)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222051611013?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Another Schiit stack (optical/Modi/Magni), current bid is $120.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201541900394?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back