Help a n00b out...
Sep 20, 2006 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ap3rtis

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I need some help understanding my soundcard.
I don't know the model number, but it came with my asus laptop. The only thing the computer tells me is: "Realtek HD Audio rear output" and it lists this for pretty much everything under Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices.
The question is, on the side of my computer there is a output that says S/PDIF above it. Now this is a digital signal right? But how come I can use this port for plugging in headphones/speakers, which I thought were analog signal? Does it somehow know how to tell the difference?
And should I be upgrading my source? Could a DAC plug into the S/PDIF output? Or would I have to get a new soundcard and then maybe run a DAC through it some other way? If you need to know, I have PCMCIA, firewire and USB ports to use for external options.
Or could I just plug an amp straight into the S/PDIF output on my laptop?

Thanks.

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 10
Aren't there any jacks for audio (named as speakers, line-out, headphones, etc.).

Also, have you checked the users guide for your laptop (normally audio connectivity is told there)?

jiitee

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 10
Nope, only two mini jacks, one has a microphone above it, and the other S/PDIF. But I have used headphones and speakers out of the S/PDIF jack and they worked, which doesn't seem right. I will see if I have the user manual hear with me, but I don't think I do. Thanks.

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ap3rtis
Nope, only two mini jacks, one has a microphone above it, and the other S/PDIF. But I have used headphones and speakers out of the S/PDIF jack and they worked, which doesn't seem right. I will see if I have the user manual hear with me, but I don't think I do. Thanks.

Then, it's just a flexijack connector for output(s) (like in many Creative cards (well, its mostly for inputs as line-in + microphone-in + S/PDIF I/O)) which is in this case decided to be named as S/PDIF (maybe they thought this more important). Flexijack means something like several type connections through one jack. Is your onboard sound stereo only, or is it capable for analog or digital 5.1 or 7.1 too?

You get the manual downloaded from ASUS support (you need to know the laptop model number).

jiitee

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 10
ya pretty sure its just stereo. I know because my friend has the same laptop and when he bought surround speakers he had to upgrade his soundcard.
Seeing as how I can run headphones out of it just fine, there shouldn't be a problem with running an amp through it right?

Sep 23, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 10
Hey guys, I thought I'd bump this with this pic.

volume.jpg

What does this mean? I have seperate control for SPDIF but I can't adjust the volume on it?
Help!
blink.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 10
I think the jack must double as SPDIF/line out, but how do I know I am using SPDIF if I wanted to connect to say a DAC?

Sep 27, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 10
SPDIF is an optical digital out to be connected with a fiberoptic cable to a DAC. The connector usually is covered by a plug for protection. Take it out and you should see a red light. If you do, it is working. Get a spdif cable, a dac, an amplifier an a headphone and you are all set.

Sep 27, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ap3rtis
Hey guys, I thought I'd bump this with this pic.

What does this mean? I have seperate control for SPDIF but I can't adjust the volume on it?
Help!
blink.gif

SPDIF volume should always be at maximum; lowering digital volume you loose information, not only volume. Volume should be changed later, at the analog or amplification stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back