Help a Head-Fier to decide! Sony V6 or Grado SR80?
Apr 25, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Neither - get the Grado SR-60

Being VERY realistic and with blind ABing between the SR-60 and the SR-80 I could not tell ANY difference at all. The only headphones in the grado lineup that were significantly different (showed through AB testing) were the following :-

1] SR-60
2] SR-125 (not to such a great extent...marginal)
3] SR-225 (Big improvement)
4] SR-325 (My favorite in the SR-series)
5] RS-1 (simply liquid smooth...like good wine)

Dont waste your money on the marketing monkeys...

Okay, my take (distance means improvement):
SR60................SR80...SR125...SR325.......... ............SR225.........RS1
The SR325 is the worst price/return performer in my opinion (though great looking - those monkeys).
wink.gif

To the original question: Unless closed is needed, the Grados wins in all respects. Lower Grados biggest weakness is their grating highs. Trouble is the V6 is even worse. Another is soundstage. The Grados is very small. The V6 is even smaller.

Apr 25, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Okay, my take (distance means improvement):
SR60................SR80...SR125...SR325.......... ............SR225.........RS1
The SR325 is the worst price/return performer in my opinion (though great looking - those monkeys).
wink.gif

To the original question: Unless closed is needed, the Grados wins in all respects. Lower Grados biggest weakness is their grating highs. Trouble is the V6 is even worse. Another is soundstage. The Grados is very small. The V6 is even smaller.

Properly amped, the harsh highs of the V6 go away. Trust me. It seems to me you have not used the V6 that much and have prejudged its performace.

Apr 25, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
Properly amped, the harsh highs of the V6 go away. Trust me. It seems to me you have not used the V6 that much and have prejudged its performace.

Ahhh, you came to that conclusion how? Also curious which amp transforms the V6's sound that much. Seems no one else has discovered it.

Apr 25, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #19 of 29
If you get the V6, a little later you will be tempted to get the Beyer Dynamic pads for it. If you get the Grados you may be tempted to get the flat pads. So they should end up costing pretty close to the same, about $110. In this range you have a few other options, like an ATH, a BD, and an AKG.

Apr 25, 2004 at 10:32 PM Post #21 of 29
Well, having read all the replies, I'd hate to be in your shoes.
I owned the SR-80s for 1-2 years (now I have RS-1 and RS-2). I also currently own the V6.

I just made a search in Yahoo shopping and saw a refurbished V6 for ~$45.

If I'd have to get one, I'd get the SR-80. I also owned the SR-125, as well as the high end models and everytime I put on the SR-80, I curse the day I started spending money on "upgrading". These cans would have done it for me forever.

The V6, on the other hand, is a hands-down winner for headbanging, brain blowing and going deaf. I put it on when I feel masochistic. He he. Mucho bass but not much musicality.

Apr 25, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #22 of 29
although ive never heard them, buyt im getting them soon in the mail from someone online, the HD570 headphones are supposed to be marketed for someone whose more inclined to classical music

i dunno, y9ou could check that out if you wanted to

Apr 25, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #23 of 29
keep in mind that the V6/7506 are build much much better than the Grados...thats why i want them
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #24 of 29
There is no sense for me to place an order on sunday, since they won't get my order out until tomorrow. So I still have a bit of time to collect opinions and do researches. I think I can safely say that the SR80 has better reputation overall. One of the thing to consider is...I don't have an amp, and I am only listening through my laptop especially at night when my roomates are sleeping. I think there is no sense for me to buy a open pair if it's just as loud as I play the song on laptop speakers.

Apr 25, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #25 of 29
If we're talking about lower-end Senns I think you should also consider MS-1 for $99 shipped. I've never heard SR80 but the MS-1 is quite an improvement over SR60 for just $30 more with more low bass, less treble (SR60 had a bit too much of that IMO) and a smoother sound overall.

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #26 of 29
Luvya-

I own all 3 cans you asked about (SR80's, V-6's, and HD280's). FYI- My most commonly used set-up: Ipod line out- JMT Cmoy. Jazz is my main musical interest.

With that background & given your musical interests- IMHO:

SR80's- Sound is my fav of this bunch BY FAR. No Contest. Energetic and crisp sound. Bass is tight, though not as deep as the V-6. Open design. Light weight makes them most comfortable of these, although fit/comfort is very personal. (I washed the stock ear pads which softened them alot).

V-6- Outstanding bass extension. Rather bright. Mids not as accurate as the other 2 cans. I added Beyer pads for comfort.

HD280- Overall character is intermediate between the other 2 cans. Good bass, but mids & highs are not as clear & well-defined as the SR-80. (FYI- not in the same league as Senn's HD580/600's)

Bottom Line: I listen to my SR80's alot (even over my HD580's). I like the V-6's for bass-weak source material, or when I'm in a 'bass-head' mood. My HD280 collects alot of dust.

JonA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back