Help a brother out?!?
Jul 4, 2003 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
Coming home from a long hard day of work I shoved my building's door open. I walked in and got my Sony MDR 7506's headphone cord caught on the door. It ripped it right off. Ive been musicless during my commute for 2 days! And I just bought 4 cds. I bought some ratshack replacement plugs bought they dont come with instructions and I dont know how to hook them up. Please help me. These HP's cost me $85 and I want to continue enjoying them. Thanks.
P.S. I dont want to solder. I dont know how to solder. Any other way?

Jul 4, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 9
Yeah, at the plug end. Lousy attachments wont let me add pictures. There are 3 wires sticking out. 1 red, 1 green , 1 orange .
I sort of got it hooked up but it only lasts a few seconds and the sound only comes out of the left earcup.

Jul 4, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 9
Search the DIY forums here and at Headwize - I've heard of the weird Sony colors but I don't remember which is which. I believe Radio Shack has some crimp-terminal mini plugs, so you could do a half-decent job with a pair of pliers.

If you can, though, find someone with a soldering iron. It will give you a much better connection.

On the plug: tip is left, middle ring is right, base is ground.

Jul 4, 2003 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 9
bundee:

I can replace the jack for you, if you like. Just cover the cost of the shipping. Of course, it would be cheaper if there is a headfier closer to you.....

Jul 4, 2003 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 9
Its very nice of you to offer puppyslug. I might take you up on the offer if I cant fugure out how to fix them. Ive broken and thrown out so many pairs of headphones, that I think its time for me to figure out how to do it. I had a friend in high school who did it and made it seem like no big deal. It made me feel like a dick.

Im not sure if I have crimp style connectors. This looks like the one I bought.

[http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=274%2D1546[/URL]

It doesnt have instructions. One wire on the sony is red, one is green and one is copper. If youre intrerested in helping pm me and Ill send you pictures of the destroyed plug, shorn cable, and new plug. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Jul 4, 2003 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by bundee1
One wire on the sony is red, one is green and one is copper. If youre intrerested in helping pm me and Ill send you pictures of the destroyed plug, shorn cable, and new plug. Thanks to all of you for your help.

My guess would be the copper wire is the ground wire. The only question now is to identify which one is the left and right channels. If you have a VOM, you can ohm it out to find out, if there is still wires hanging out of the old plug.

You can send me the picture to: pslugg@yahoo.com

Jul 5, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks pup I just sent you the pics. I usually spare the HP's and destroy the jacks but this time its the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back