Help a brother out! I ruined my Image S4...
Oct 29, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #16 of 22
Stay away from the Custom 3. It has one of the worst cables in the market. Microphonics are absolutely horrible on the Custom 3. It sounds really good though.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The concern with the IE7 was that it would be sensitive to wind noise -- that's when the UM2 was suggested. (I haven't otherwise considered the Custom 3, but I'm certainly open to any IEMs that fit well with how I would be using them: eg, mostly biking/waking, rather than at a desk.)

The SE530's are also an option, and are priced similarly to the UM2 ($288 vs $260) -- would be very happy to hear more about how SE530's compare to UM2's, especially given the bike/walk use.

UM3X at first strike me as too pricey -- but am I now going to be tempted by you UM3X fans? Uh-oh...

I gather the UM3X's share the same physical characteristics as the UM2's (ie, a relatively low-profile for the amount of hardware, and a good relatively low-microphonic cable) -- but they then bring lots more to table?

This is a dangerous forum...
smily_headphones1.gif

The SE530 have bulky cables and earlier models had problems with cables cracking and splitting over time. It has a very short cable and most likely, you will have to use the extension cables which will add some weight. It has some of the best sounding mids in the market.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #18 of 22
Sorry to hear about that. I don't see how someone can manage to forget something like that and wash cloths though lol. I'm much more careful

I'll also give my input. I agree get IE7 or IE8. You can get the IE8 used here for a good price. Another good option in terms of sound and to help the microphonics while biking would be the klipsch custom 3 or even custom 2 if u don't wanna spend as much. Similar sound quality and signature as you've had klipsch before they go around the ear and are great for biking. I have the 3s for biking myself.

Good luck

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #20 of 22
I actually never heard of Westone before this thread -- but from what I gather so far, it seems their physical attributes reasonably match what I'm looking for -- ie, the hardware sits fairly flush in the ear (which should hopefully reduce wind noise when on the bike, yes?) and the cables are well-designed and handle microphonics relatively well (so that should help when I'm walking around).

So, if Westone is indeed right for me, is there a smart way to pick between UM2 and UM3X (or perhaps some other Westone)? Does it matter one way or the other if my source will mostly be the Clip+? (which, imho, is a nifty little gadget)

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #21 of 22
(Edit: I'll try asking the Westone-specific questions in the Westone appreciation thread)

Quick question: the cable on the Westone UM2 and UM3X -- it's a bit longer than 4 feet, is that about right? (does that not seem longer than necessary?)

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #22 of 22
well it might be because they are designed more as a stage monitor so they would have to be longer than something that is for an ipod or something like that. well i would assume that most of the time they and run behind the backs and then connected either to a monitor or directly to the mixer or something along those lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back