Help A Basehead Pick Out A New Pair Of Cans Please
Jun 16, 2023 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

StarTreker

500+ Head-Fier
Its been awhile since I posted on Head-Fi, but I come here baring bad news. All of us who bought JVC can's from the SZ 1000 - 2000 series, had our cans snap at the hinge. So I got help to pick out a new pair of can's, and went with the V-Moda LP2 cans, which I really quite liked, due to the massive 50mm drivers, that really delivered me deep base, especially with adding more via EQ!

While I've also enjoyed having a metal hinge that doesn't snap on my V-Moda cans, unfortunately, the AUX port is not built as sturdy. A few too many cable pulls, and the AUX jack has gotten oblonged a bit, causing loss of connection. It got so bad I had to switch to the tiny cable that the V-Moda can's came with, in order to get a better connection, to keep me going awhile. But if the cable is moved the other direction, I lose sound out of one cup.

So, now I am once again, on the hunt for another pair of can's. I would prefer, to have a pair of can's that have 50mm drivers, as I appreciate the full range of sound that comes from such a driver. Many audiophile's recommend open backed can's instead for better soundstage and clarity. I was thinking maybe it was time for me to grow up and buy a real pair of quality headphones, like maybe the Sennheizer HD 600's? What is your opinions?

If this helps to answer the question, this is my setup......

AMP: S.M.S.L SP200 AMP
DAC: S.M.S.L M200 DAC
EQ: Realistic 12-Band EQ Vintage

Jun 16, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 21
Welcome back... HD600 won't give you enough bass I'm betting. Have you heard or looked into the Denon D7200?

Jun 16, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 21
Welcome back... HD600 won't give you enough bass I'm betting. Have you heard or looked into the Denon D7200?

Thank you! :)

And thanks for the recommendation, that is a beautiful pair of can's dude!

My bad though, I should have given you folks a budget. $300.00 is going to be my max budget for my next purchase

Jun 16, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 21
No worries, are you open to buying used?

Jun 17, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 21
Haven't heard them myself, but I read that the Drop + Ultrasone Signature X is made for bassheads. It also fits your budget with some change left over.

Thank you very much for the awesome recommendation! I looked up the Ultrasone Signature X's, and even watched the review from Zeo's. From what I can tell, these are a very capable can, that should perform better then V-Moda cans, while maintaining basehead levels of godly base, while increasing soundstage and clarity. Additionally, I learned from Zeo's video, that these cans can be made further comfortable, and sound even better, by using the Xenon pads. Great news, I just ordered from Drop for my very first time, and ordered the Ultrasone Signature X's!

1686974774773.png

I was able to order these for $199.99 with free shipping, but tax on it was like 17 bucks.

Thanks again for the help folks, much appreciated!

Jun 17, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 21
Thank you very much for the awesome recommendation! I looked up the Ultrasone Signature X's, and even watched the review from Zeo's. From what I can tell, these are a very capable can, that should perform better then V-Moda cans, while maintaining basehead levels of godly base, while increasing soundstage and clarity. Additionally, I learned from Zeo's video, that these cans can be made further comfortable, and sound even better, by using the Xenon pads. Great news, I just ordered from Drop for my very first time, and ordered the Ultrasone Signature X's!

1686974774773.png

I was able to order these for $199.99 with free shipping, but tax on it was like 17 bucks.

Thanks again for the help folks, much appreciated!
Let us know how you like them. I'm curious about a pair for myself, too.

Jun 17, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 21
Audio technica wp900, Sony z7m2, Denon D7200 are some good options.

Jun 18, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 21
Echoing @smallcaps recommendation. Signature X are tough to beat at $199, they punch well above their weight sound wise. The only downside is the plastic build which can be creaky. Zeo's video was based on the 1st batch run which included some questionable pads. The current batch includes some thicker plush pads and an extra balanced cable to boot.
Either way congrats on the purchase, and do let us know what you think of them.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 21
Jun 18, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #12 of 21
@StarTreker I know it’s marketed as a gaming headphone but Audeze Maxwell is probably the best overall headphone in your price range.

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 21
Zeo's video was based on the 1st batch run which included some questionable pads.

Also, Zeos' videos are based on Zeos, which includes some questionable opinions.

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #14 of 21
Also, Zeos' videos are based on Zeos, which includes some questionable opinions.
I agree. I find Zeos’ content entertaining but I would personally never follow any of his audio advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back