help 580 or 590
Oct 10, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Look for eBay seller hififorless. He usually has the 580's for $129 + $10 shipping. Think he even sells direct. Good luck !

Does anyone have this persons e-mail? Im trying to get a set of HD580s and the cheapest ive been able to find them is $159 + shipping.

Oct 11, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 26
fyrfyterhodges,

I have the same setup on my 590's (Stephan Arts Audio Cable)and all I can say is the same as you "Wow!". They are still my favorite headphone as you already know from other threads. I'm looking for a luscious tube amp to replace my Melos (another great amp) now and then I'm done for awhile.

Thanks
Brian

Oct 11, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
I have no experience with that amp, but can say that I am very pleased with my senn hd590-headroom little combo, the hd590's sound different than the hd600's, I just upgraded to the stefan audioart replacement cable for the 590's and all I can say is "wow!"

fyrfytrhoges, does that mean that you prefer the HD590 to the HD600? Or do you actually prefer the HD600 to the HD590 overall?

Oct 12, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #20 of 26
I forgot something. When I sent my 590's to Sennheiser I wanted them to match the unbroken driver and the new one. The gave me the choice of usng a driver out of a a broken set of 5690' or a brenad new driver and I choose the used one. Also, they fixed the broken earpiece at the same time. I know it was well under fifty bucks but now I am not sure of just how much of it was for the earspeaker alone.

Eagle Driver,

If you still have the 590's you should get the Stephan Arts Audio cable to try. I have had them on my 590's from the very begining and when I have had friends (musicians and fellow studio professionals) listen to both of them they preferred the 590's unanimously. Since you tend to prefer the 600's this would be a great test. You can get the cable as a trial from one of the Head-Fi guys who is a dealer. I can't, for the life of me, remember his name but I think his email address is LCONREAL@aol.com. Never mind I just remembered that his name is "tuberoller". Anyhow, he wil let you trial them, I think.

It would be a great test if you feel that you can truly be objective about this.

I look forward to hearing your results if you decide to do the trial.

Best
Brian

Oct 12, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #21 of 26
I think I know why my 590's is much inferior to my 600's, bkelly:

Both were tested with their stock cables. While the stock cables on both 'phones strangle the headphones' sound at least somewhat, the degradation is much more pronounced with the 590's than with the 600's! That's because the individual conductors in the 590's stock cable are even thinner than those in the 600's stock cable. No wonder why my 590's sounded crappy compared to my 600's.

Thus my suggestion to improve the HD590 is to take the following steps:
  1. Attenuate the treble response slightly.
  2. Get rid of the crappy thin stock cable - and replace it with something that's thicker but still flexible.

Oct 12, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #22 of 26
Eagle Drive,

It's hard for me to have an accurate opinion about this since I changed the cable on the 590 so early on and it was later that I tried different cables on the 600. Also, it is so well documented that the 600's need the cable upgrade and never a mention prior to "fyrfyterhodges" that the 590's may also benifit just as much that I can't really tell how big a part of the current sound of my 590's is due to the cabler upgrade. I'm going to look around and see if I still have the stock cable to compare. I actually did report about the cable upgrade in an earlier thread but I don't remember what I said other than I liked it.

"Fyrfytrhodges" opinions on this willl be very much welcomed since he owns both phones and has always had a favorable opinion about both of them.

Talk soon

Oct 12, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #23 of 26
I notice that Jan Meier describes the 590s as "slightly bright" and the 580s as "slightly laid back." I've heard the 580s and they are great, but I just don't have the moola for 580s and an amp. I notice from the headroom graphs that the 590s and 580s appear to be substantially similar except for the highs. Headroom describes the 590s as something like bright to the point of fatigue, but I value Jan Meier's opinion a little more, just based on his tone and demeanor in what I've seen of his writing, so maybe they are just slightly bright? Also judging from the headroom graphs, the 590 looks to be superior to the 570 in any event. Anyway, at the prices 590s are going for now, if they are really really good I'd be interested. So I'm interested in what experienced 590 listeners have to say.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #24 of 26
Steve,

I'll have to look at Jan Meier's comments because they definitley reflect my own point of view on these two phones.

I have called the 590 and 600 opposite equals before and I think that is the best description of these two phones. The 590 is slightly bright while the 600 is slightly laid back and that is the biggest difference. Some claim the bass is boomy on the 590 but I don't hear it that way. Mine have had the Stephan Arts Audio Equinox cable on them from very early on and this may have improved mine more han I remember but as it is today I generally prefer the 590 over my 600's.

If you like to listen to jazz or classical music the 590 is the preferred phone in my opinion because if you add the natural ambience to the laid back nature of the 600's you wind up experiencing the muisic as if you were sitting in the back of the hall. Some people may like this but I do not and I would point that the cheap seats are always in the back of the hall for a reason. Most people do not want to listen to music located that far from its source.

I think with headphones some people like this effect because it seems to make the listening environment seem larger or possibly more like you are listening to the music with conventional speakers. I'm not sure what the preference is but other than the fact that it is somewhat pleasant sounding, it annoys me because it is so inaccurate.

Fans of this sound will claim that the 600's have some of uncanny ability to reproduce the ambience that other phones somehow cannot do. The only trouble with that theory is that it is wrong. The microphones were one the stage, not at the back of the hall.

A freind of mine, a professional musician, made the statement that everything sounds like a Sting recording through the 600's and I quite agree. On an actual Sting recording it sounds as if you are listening to it through an additional reverb unit.

The Headroom comment about the 590's absolutely kill me. I don't know what they are listening too. Unfortunately, I think many people read this stuff and are influenced by it. So, in the end, rather than an honest observation like Jan Meier's about the 590's we get the blind leading the blind.

When you throw in the fact that the 600's need a lot of extra gear to make them sound at their best the 590 becomes the best buy by leaps.

When you are reading this remember that I own and like both of these phones so I am not picking on the 600's. It's just that the 590's are way overdue for appreciation. In the end, contrary to popular belief, neither of these phones is perrfect and both are still a ways off from what I would call Class A devices.

I hope that helps.

Hopefully other 590 owners will post here.

In the end you should listen for yourself.

Talk soon.

Best
Brian

Oct 13, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #25 of 26
Thanks bkelly! I appreciate it very much. You can see Jan Meier's brief comments at:

http://www.meier-audio.com/

Just go to the Sennheiser page.
smily_headphones1.gif

He says he only sells products he believes in. For example, for this reason, he doesn't sell the HD280s. Well, I'll save you the trouble -- here's what he says about the 580, 590, and 600:

The HD590 is a very comfortale headphone with a slightly bright presentation of sound.

Due to its low impedance and its high efficiency this can is well suited to be driven by portable equipment.

Frequency range: 12-38.000 Hz

Impedance: 120 Ohm

Sensitivity: 97 dB at 1 mW

Weight: 270 g

For many the HD600 is the best dynamic headphone in the world, with a slightly laid-back but very detailed sound.

The HD580 has the same drivers but cups and headband are made of less expensive material.

These phones are hard to drive and only give optimal performance when driven by a headphone amplifier.

Frequency range: 12-39.000 Hz

Impedance: 300 Ohm

Sensitivity: 97 dB at 1 mW

Weight: 260 g

Oct 13, 2002 at 1:07 PM Post #26 of 26
Steve,

Look in Cables, Power, Tweaks etc. and you will see a thread about upgrading the cables on the 590's. It is interesting. It has taken awhile but apparently the truth about the 590's is starting to get around despite Headroom's unfavorable comments.

Talk soon.

Best
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back