Helmet speaker setup
Jul 23, 2013 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tannerc

New Head-Fier
Hi,
 I am looking to build and audio system for my motorcycle helmet. I just ordered an Sony MW1 bluetooth receiver/mp3 player. I am looking to have a wireless apearance to the helmet which velcroing this to the inside will achieve the place that I am stuck in is what speakers to use. I can NOT use a in ear pair of headphones, I have several and using while riding is ear abuse. I would like to insert a over the ear speaker into the helmet (held in place by velcro) and connect them to the MW1. The tough part is finding the right speaker. The inside of the helmet is not quiet... I need to have something that gets pretty loud while attached to the MW1. I would like to have some clarity as i will be using this for mostly music but also calls & Bike to bike communication. I am willing to buy a pair of headphones and cut them up but.... Price is a huge factor as i am going to be making 3 of these setups for all of my different riding helmets. I know i can go buy a pair of TORK Xpro helmet speakers that are meant for this application and stuff them in the helmet.. $80 a set x3 I can not afford. I know a few people here have ran into "diamonds in the rough" personal audio equipment/speakers, I am looking for the easy answer to my delema. What will work best for the least amount of money. Does anyone have any insight or comments that could help me out. How do those of you who have the Sony MW1 think it will work for my application?

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 5
After some research I think I am going to go with the Sony MW1 and a pair of KOSS KSC75 speakers. I wanted it it to be simple and tuck into a helmet without modifying the helmet structure. I was able to get a pair of skullcandy home brew speakers into the helmet ear pockets but the sound from them was washed out with wind/buffeting noise. The KOSS are about $70 cheaper then the TORK helmet speakers, I hope they will work out. If i can not get the KOSS speakers in the helmet I will just use the buds that came with the MW1. 

I am trying to get away from any tethered wire and have the system contained in the helmet. Speaker wires flopping in the wind, snagging on jacket and helmet straps yanking buds out of the ears was just getting to be an annoying PIA.

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 5
I think the shaking helmet will be you biggest problem.Enough infilling between your ears and the speakers will be necessary.By the way,don't you think it is safer to focus on you riding?

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
By the way,don't you think it is safer to focus on you riding?

Exactly, thats why I'm going to a wireless self contained system
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back