Hello
Apr 20, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 10
Hi and welcome from a fellow UK-er!
What are your current 2 headphones? You won't regret picking up the S - I certainly haven't. 
size]

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 10
HI i currently have the AKG K712 and SENNHEISER HD650 (both are vegan friendly) ..... I mainly use the AKG K712 through a CHC HA10SE TUBE HYBRID AMP.
The HD 800S are my endgame headphone (these too are vegan friendly)

The only other pairs of headphones that i had were the beyerdynamic (forget the model) and the sennheiser HD600.

There are a lot of cans with leather pads which i will not consider as i am vegan (hifiman, audeze, etc) hence my decision to go for the sennheisers

kind regards rick

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 10
  HI i currently have the AKG K712 and SENNHEISER HD650 (both are vegan friendly) ..... I mainly use the AKG K712 through a CHC HA10SE TUBE HYBRID AMP.
The HD 800S are my endgame headphone (these too are vegan friendly)

The only other pairs of headphones that i had were the beyerdynamic (forget the model) and the sennheiser HD600.

There are a lot of cans with leather pads which i will not consider as i am vegan (hifiman, audeze, etc) hence my decision to go for the sennheisers

kind regards rick

I have bad news for you - the equipment that makes headphones use some kind of animal product. Oil is also an animal product brought on by dinosaur and mollusk suffering (imagine t-rex watching the plant eaters dying out as the climate changed) so unless it's delivered by a Tesla riding on iron tyres, even the delivery makes it not a vegan product.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 10
Have to agree with ProtegeManiac on equipment using animal products in manufacturing, I will add pretty much everything in the modern world is made with some variation of animal product, not just any lubricant but plastics especially as well, particularly bioplastic...

...Kind of impossible to avoid...

Regardless, have fun finding something completely animal free, be interested to know if you find anything.

Hope this helps.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 10
Regardless, have fun finding something completely animal free, be interested to know if you find anything.

Do vegans listen to classical music? Because bows. Its not like Stradivaris are made with the same strings used in electric guitars, which are made of metal. Classical music is the product of animal suffering - they have to torture the animals, taking the hair they need to protect themselves from the weather just so humans can listen to music. And don't forget all the wool they need to wear for the performance - Britney Spears can perform practically naked, but a symphony has to go there all dressed up. Ditto the audience. Oh wait, it's not just the sheep - the silkworms suffer too. Look at how many ties and evening gowns are in a concert hall, plus the costumes if it's the opera. Truly, classical music must be banned by PETA!

But if you really think about it, we have to mine the metals used in modern guitar strings, so technically, there are some animals who consider that mountain their habitat but are now suffering because we started digging there. Soon enough, we would have delved too greedily, dug too deeply, and who knows what ancient secrets of this middle earth we will uncover. Hell, it would attract an animal mightier and greedier than we are, and then taking our mines back would be to inflict suffering on poor Smawg.

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 10
This proves a point I have said many times before...

All I will say is, good luck to those who want to live in an animal free world...

Hope this helps.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 10
All I will say is, good luck to those who want to live in an animal(-suffering) free world...

Well, we can cut down on one kind - lab testing. People should just volunteer to do the trials, with no testing on rats first. PETA can put its money where its mouth is by volunteering to risk growing a third cancer instead of getting rid of what they had at the start.

Oh, wait, no, we can't. Some human meds are toxic to cats and dogs, and will kill their livers faster than I kill mine during Oktoberfest, so without testing on the extremely large shelter animal population and some rats, it'll take a few thousand dead pets all autopsied and such to confirm that, yes, Drug A to cure or treat Disease/Condition A will cause Mr. Fluffer's liver to blow up.

In any case, I really can't understand how people would want vegan earpads when the mines or the tree farms that we get audio gear material from do a heck of a lot more damage to wild life that are harder to replace than making leather out of animals that we (and that includes Mr. Fluffers and Hachiko) would eat anyway, thereby sustaining other lives beyond plain economics (ie income and profit). Ditto hydrocarbons transporting all that raw material and the finished products.

Oh, and here's the kicker: synthetic leather doesn't biodegrade well (and they scuff easily). By using vegan leather, you actually make marine life suffer, since that old shoe if not buried properly will end up in the ocean. There's a reason why Hollywood celebs are totally justified blowing $500 on Italian shoes or $300 on American cowboy boots than some $25 shoes that Payless got from China.

And then there's all the politics around rare earth stuff. Guess how geopolitics works out just for neodymium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back