Hello
Dec 9, 2016 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Eric Smith

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, Thanks for allowing me to join your forum. Ive been lurking around this site for quite a while. I've had some pretty decent equipment and I'm still trying to find my perfect fit. In the past I've had the Shure SE846's and the Chord Mojo used with my iPhone. Sounded pretty decent, but I've since sold the setup and I have a pair of Fostex TH900 mk2's and a  Pioneer HiRes player (XDP-100R) that I'm shipping back tomorrow as it sounds VERY similar to my iPhone with the Fostex headphones. I'm considering ordering the AK70 for a replacement.

My questions are:  Will the Astell and Kern have a much better soundstage and overall sound? I believe I will keep the MK2's because they are super comfortable, even laying down. I think with the correct source they will sound amazing. Also, in  your opinion will all higher end headphones remain "wired" for the future? I just can't see the bluetooth tech ever getting the sound you can from a wired connection. At least not in my lifetime that is. -eric 

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 6
You had an awesome source with the mojo, IMHO, going to an AK70 will not be an upgrade. Going with a higher end AK player might be, but that's a whole different price range. I have always said and still say, headphones first, source second. I have not heard the Pioneer, as for wireless, meh not for people who really want top sound.

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi, I probably should have kept the Mojo but I guess I can always get another someday if I need to.

It was made mostly for people to use with phones so they can have a high quality DAC. Unless you tried it with the Fostex, you cant be sure it wouldn't have been what you are looking for. If you decide to try it again, always look for a used one in the for sale section.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 6
Definitely, they are kind of pricey. I'm really wondering if I should try the AK or just stick with my phone. The Pioneer got decent reviews but I wasn't really impressed. That's not to say some people may really love it.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 6
Definitely, they are kind of pricey. I'm really wondering if I should try the AK or just stick with my phone. The Pioneer got decent reviews but I wasn't really impressed. That's not to say some people may really love it.

Any device is someones personal opinion, anytime someone asks me at a show whats the best, I say the ones you like the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back