Hello! Worth Repairing?
Dec 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

saguro

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone!

First time poster, I hope I got the post in the right forum.

I've owned a pair of Shure e4c's for about 3 years now.  The cable sheath has completely disintegrated and although the sound is still fine, a behind the ear fit is incredibly uncomfortable.

I've looked into getting these fixed, and it looks like it'll be ~$100 to have the cables changed with something of good-better quality than what was there to begin with.

So my question is this:  Is it worth the c-note to get these fixed or should I put the $100 towards a set of se535's which I can afford by summer time.  I was given a pair of Bose OE2i's this summer as a gift, so I would have something decent to get me through until then.

Thanks in advance for reading this and helping out!

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 9
Could always look to get these reshelled into customs instead of repair.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 9
SE535 is a great IEM but ask BTG audio how much to recable, they may even be able to put a detachable cable socket on them

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 9
SE535 is a great IEM but ask BTG audio how much to recable, they may even be able to put a detachable cable socket on them

What would the advantage of a detachable cable be for these headphones? I'm (possibly incorrectly) thinking that its the transducers themselves that are a limiting factor, not the wires. Hence my question as to whether it's even worth to fix these (or make custom shells for these) or save for a better pair.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 9
+1 for BTG. To be honest, all the given suggestions are great. If it was me, I would personally get it reshelled or upgraded for the SE425. The E4 is a WONDERFUL sounding IEM and I loved it for it's performance in female vocals. I got my E3c reshelled by UM into a 3-driver 3-way crossover using a TF10 tweeter for the tweeter and a Sonion 20xx (forgot model number) woofer. I am planning on getting them re-fitted by UM again as it's been 4 years and I want to replace the woofer for the dual-lows used in the Miracle. Contact UM, they have exceptional service and are very professional.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for all the advice. I like the sound of a trade-in program and I think I'll pursue that avenue.

I'll make sure to post my findings in the thread.

Cheers!

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 9
Update:

So it looks like Shure Canada was unable to help me at all.  After pursuing the trade in program with more effort, the Canadian distributor suggested I call the American headquarters.  After a few minutes on the phone and a e-mail explanation, I received word that I could ship my phones to Shure USA and for a fee of $155 I would receive a new pair of SE425's.

I mailed them off Thursday afternoon via airmail, and I suppose it'll only take a few weeks to receive the new phones?

To anyone who's gone through this process before:  Do you get a brand new box/with all the shure eartips and case or will I receive just the phones and cable?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back