Hello to Everyone...AKG owner here
Sep 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

derekdog

New Head-Fier
I am new to Head-fi and I'm pretty excited to be sharing space with folks that can provide some sound advice on some issues I'm currently having.

First off I own several sets of solid cans but the ones I really love are my AKG K601s. In addition, I'm currently pairing them with a Bravo Audio Ocean tube headphone amp. Unfortunately, even though I'm a fan of tubes, I'm just not able to get into the sound of this thing! With these guys rated at 120 ohms, they do need some power to reach full potential so I'm searching for a new amp as these AKGs are quite "neutral" and are in need of  a happy marriage!

I'm really liking the Shiit gear (Lyr, Asgard, Valhalla, and even the Magni). Is there anyone that can tell me their experience with any of the Shiit amps/dacs? I also really dig the made in USA aspect as well as the positive press and feedback these products have gotten.  I am open minded to other suggestions as well.

I primarily listen to vinyl but I also listen to music on my iPad/iPod also...

Thanks for the help!

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 5
The Schiit gear looks awesome that I will admit.  Jason is also pretty well known in the community will respond to questions himself which is a huge plus.

That said I have seen quite a few issues here at head-fi with various Schiit products.  Some not working straight out of the box, some failing over a short period of time, but most people are pretty happy with their Schiit.

It looks like Schiit offers a good warranty so even if the product has an issue you can always return it / repair it.  I have seen high praise for their customer service which is something not common anymore.

I understand how power hungry the AKG products can be.  I recently reviewed the K712 Pro and ended up purchasing it, but I was astonished at how hard they are to drive.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks much...I'm looking forward to getting lots of ideas from around these parts!
gs1000.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 5
  Thanks much...I'm looking forward to getting lots of ideas from around these parts!
gs1000.gif

What source(s) do you plug the Bravo Ocean into?

Some of those simple tube amplifiers from China have adjustable voltages, one for each of the two channels.
With a digital multi-meter (DT830, $7), you might be able to boost the voltage of the Bravo.
Just do not know if the Bravo Ocean has adjustable voltage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back