Hello there! New to Head-Fi with questions ...
Apr 8, 2014 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Phaetos

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a decent pair of headphones to use for music and gaming on my PC rig.  I am currently using the onboard sound powered by a Realtek chipset for 7.1.  I know some of the terms that have been thrown about in the threads I have been reading. I will try to be clear in what I am looking for in my first post.

Over-ear headphones, closed back( I think), good bass, clear mids, clear highs not sharp and piercing. I am no audiophile but I do want my music to sound alive and clear, not muddled like you hear on the radio most times.  Now for the kicker, $50 limit.  I don't have anywhere in town to listen to units first, unless I go to Best Buy and attempt to listen to the overpriced Beats and the like. 

Eventually I may get a soundcard that is much better than the Realtek, but for now it's what I got to work with. 

Ready for the flood of biased and opinionated suggestions 
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 7
Since you're a PC gamer you'll get this analogy.

If you pay $50 for a pair of headphones it's similar to cheaping out on the $110 graphics card and and getting an $80 one instead.

Also would you be interested in a headset? ATH has some pretty damn good ones and if you had separate budgets for both...

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 7
  Since you're a PC gamer you'll get this analogy.

If you pay $50 for a pair of headphones it's similar to cheaping out on the $110 graphics card and and getting an $80 one instead.

Also would you be interested in a headset? ATH has some pretty damn good ones and if you had separate budgets for both...

Headset as in with microphone? Not interested in a mic. So basically your telling me that I can't get something even relatively decent that's gotta be better than the $12 options for that price? I don't believe that.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 7
Most of the over ear headphone recommendations here will start at around $80 or so, just because that's the price bracket where people tend to find that you start to get into good quality headphones for the money. Sony MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 have good sound with a little bass emphasis. NVX Audio XPT100 for a neutral response headphone. Creative Aurvana Live! is another. Takstar Pro 80 (apparently can be found cheaper through Ebay, etc.).

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 7
  I am looking for a decent pair of headphones to use for music and gaming on my PC rig.  I am currently using the onboard sound powered by a Realtek chipset for 7.1.  I know some of the terms that have been thrown about in the threads I have been reading. I will try to be clear in what I am looking for in my first post.

Over-ear headphones, closed back( I think), good bass, clear mids, clear highs not sharp and piercing. I am no audiophile but I do want my music to sound alive and clear, not muddled like you hear on the radio most times.  Now for the kicker, $50 limit.  I don't have anywhere in town to listen to units first, unless I go to Best Buy and attempt to listen to the overpriced Beats and the like. 

Eventually I may get a soundcard that is much better than the Realtek, but for now it's what I got to work with. 

Ready for the flood of biased and opinionated suggestions 
biggrin.gif

Look for a Best Buy with a Magnolia room.   They have a small selection of pretty good headphones you can audition.  I don't think they will have anything for $50, but at least you can come back and ask for recommendations for a $50 headphone that sound like some model you heard at Best Buy.

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #6 of 7
Most of the over ear headphone recommendations here will start at around $80 or so, just because that's the price bracket where people tend to find that you start to get into good quality headphones for the money. Sony MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 have good sound with a little bass emphasis. NVX Audio XPT100 for a neutral response headphone. Creative Aurvana Live! is another. Takstar Pro 80 (apparently can be found cheaper through Ebay, etc.).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check into those  

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 7
I'd scrape the sale forums around here! If you have to stick under $50 mark, you might want to check out the Klipsch Image One. I'd say purely for sound, they cannot be beaten for this price (can be found as low as $30 used on Amazon). However, they're small, on-ear (if you have small ears, can be worn over-ear).

For new in that price range, I'd go with the Superlux HD681

http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD-681-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00BWUHHYE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397047717&sr=1-2&keywords=superlux

Users who are viewing this thread

Back