Hello nice folks :) Please help me out.
Jun 19, 2014 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nopc0de

New Head-Fier
Hey folks,

I'm a music lover, movie lover, tv lover and gamer.
I wouldn't call myself an audiophile but I've always cared about having good audio.

My current system completely died and its time to get a new set-up.
I signed up here because I need some help, I've been looking at headphone reviews for a couple of days now and I'm still not closer to making a purchase.

I'm looking for a good setup that fits a:
- Rock music listener;
- Gamer
- TV Series/Movie watcher

As for source goes my audio library is in great quality (most is lossless)  and I'm also in the process of getting a new PC so if you can recommend me a nice sound card that would be cool.

I guess my max budget would be 1000 Euro (this should include amp), but if for example you think I'd be more happy with something cheaper please do post :)
Open or Semi-open headphones are preferred. 

I've been lurking the the "for Sale / Trade" section and I see some crazy deals there (compared to new) and you guys all seem to take great care of your headphones.
Is there a caveat from buying second hand (I wouldn't get something out of warranty) ?

Thanks!

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet. :D

Sound Blaster Z gets mentioned a lot but a lot of ppl also try to find the older cards as well (X-Fi Titanium)

My experience with audio + pc gaming is light. I've just recently jumped back into PC gaming from Console and my current setup is inexpensive but really nice. Consists of :

X-Fi 5.1 USB -> NFB12(Optical; dac & amp) -> T90s/DT880s. Total Cost : $370 for DT880s / $670 for T90s

If I had to change, I would probably get a SB Omni instead of the X-Fi for better surround sound software package + processing but overall, it's a set up I'm happy with.

The main downside to buying used is that you tend to lose the warranty but most HFers baby their stuff, me included. :D You get great value and the HPs tend to last unless they're mistreated. I've had pairs of HPs that were bordering on 10 years old that could almost pass as new. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you asks for lots of photos.

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply :)

I was already looking at the Beyerdynamics DT880 (I much prefer German engineering) but I guess I wanted something more.
T90's look great for me, I don't get why I didn't see these myself :/

So I guess the idea is to get a sound card for the surround, and an amp/dac for the power?
Am I correct that buying a pc sound card with like 600 ohms amp is a bit stupid if you add an extra desktop amp anyways? 

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the reply :)

I was already looking at the Beyerdynamics DT880 (I much prefer German engineering) but I guess I wanted something more.
T90's look great for me, I don't get why I didn't see these myself :/

So I guess the idea is to get a sound card for the surround, and an amp/dac for the power?
Corrent, if positional audio is important then get a sound card. dac is for music processing quality and the amp is power.
Am I correct that buying a pc sound card with like 600 ohms amp is a bit stupid if you add an extra desktop amp anyways? 
Correct again, it'll be a feature that won't get utilized.

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm going for the T90's and a SB X-Fi Titanium HD.
It seems that the titanium will drive the T90 well and since I'm only going to use it at my PC anyway it seems a good option. 

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back