Hello! Newcomer in search of knowledge & advice re: over ears
Sep 23, 2013 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

earjizz

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! Just thought I'd say hello to everyone here at head fi as suggested upon registration. I'm new to the headphone/'personal audio' world but used to dabble in car audio; however, now that I sit in an office in front of a computer for 8-10 hours a day, I've come to the realization that I need a good pair of headphones!

I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel this way, but seeing all the choices and factors that go into choosing the right set of 'phones for ME is nearly overwhelming. However, after just skimming the surface of this forum to glean the seemingly most important and most relevant info, I've come to the conclusion that I'm looking for a pair of OVER EAR headphones. I've yet to really decide upon closed or open, but I have decided I'd like to spend somewhere in the range of $150-$250, and I don't mind buying used/refurbished (unless I'm told otherwise by head-fi wisdom/consensus). 

My ears tend to overheat with closed ear 'phones, but I doubt the sets I've had the chance to use are the most comfortable. Even with the beats solos, I found the tight fit to cause my ears to feel hot quickly. For that reason, I'm leaning towards open-ears, but am still open to closed ones so long as they don't bake my ears. Another reason I'm leaning towards open-ears is that I'd like something relatively transportable; I don't think I want anything that's super bulky.

To describe my preference for sound without trying to use any audio jargon that I don't actually know, I'll do my best to explain what I like and don't like...although I like bass, I don't want anything with too much of the super low frequencies (no, I don't know which specific frequencies quite yet). If I'm understanding the term correctly, I don't like "punchy" bass. I suppose my main issue is that I've only heard muddy bass through headphones which has led me to a bias. High treble tends to hurt my ears. If "mid-bass" or "high-bass" are terms, I'd like those along with the mids to be as clear as possible. I'd like soft highs that maintain an equal presence in regards to the lows and mids. I can't stand sharp sounding mids-highs. I like sound quality over power (though I think this is more in regards to car audio). I'm sure my description SUCKS to many of your standards, but as a newbie it's all I can provide for now! Hopefully it'll at least suffice :)

In regards to music preference, I listen to pretty much everything with an emphasis on electronic music and EDM with vocals, hip hop, reggae, and some indie/folk music.

These headphones will primarily be used with my phone (samsung s4), or my iPod. Down the road I will probably get a portable amp to improve SQ, but I don't see that happening in the near-foreseeable future.

If I can provide any other info please let me know! Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and I hope you all have a great week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back