Hello. new to the boards!
Apr 23, 2007 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Spartan 3

New Head-Fier
I heard about these boards from the ABI forums, and decided to come here as I was going to decide on a decent set of earphones to upgrade from the stock Sansa's. My budget was $20 or less, and I know you guys love the KSC-75, but I did not want to get those of a full-ear clip nature. I am not an audiophile and just wanted something that's a bit better than stock earphones but ten times more comfortable and similarly compact. In the end, I decided on these:

8001324_sa.jpg

I actually bought the Philips "surround sound" headphones first for $15, and while the sound quality was miles above standard stock, the design and comfort of them was atrocious. You get 4 silicon cups, and you live and die by those cups. If you lose them, the earphones are worthless. I already lost two of the cups while opening them in the car last night, and decided on returning them to Wally World after my bad experience.

I got the Philips SHS3200, and have been loving them since. Less than 10 seconds to clip on, extremely comfortable, no silly ear buds or other nuances that may get lost or dropped, and the sound quality is above standard stock Sansa's. I am satisfied.

I did some search on the board prior to buying them, and found one person here who had a positive experience with them. One positive experience from someone at Head-Fi > majority of other opinions.

Thanks guys for helping me decide on an affordable pair of earphones, and intend on lurking on this board some more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 36
Well...I enjoy those headphones for my workouts with my shuffle. But other htan that...there are way better headphones that are of better value than the Philips. Get yourself a pair of ksc75's, and then don't ever come back here again. Your wallet will hate you.

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 36
Thanks for the uh... welcome.
blink.gif

Like I said, I'm not an audiophile by any means. I don't even require bass in my sound as my neighbor gets ticked off at me using bass in my speakers, so I'm accustomed to bass-less sound.

I don't feel like spending above $20 for any kind of headphones/earphones anyway, so I should be good with these.

P.S. - If I move the headphone jack connector and get some static while the music is playing, is this normal?

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan 3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. - If I move the headphone jack connector and get some static while the music is playing, is this normal?

Thats not normal.

Quote:

I don't feel like spending above $20 for any kind of headphones/earphones anyway, so I should be good with these.

Good for you. I wish I felt that way.

Apr 23, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 36
Welcome to the forums.

I still think you should give the KSC 75's a shot though
tongue.gif
It'd be nice for something for home, like your computer.

Apr 23, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 36
Nice first post & welcome!

"I am satisfied" -now there's something you don't hear everyday, especially on Head Fi!

I've never listened to Philips phones, but I'm glad you like em. To each their own. Bit concerned about your neighbour tho! And maybe headphones are now your chance to revel in some
basshead.gif
!

Happy lurking (barely an ex-lurker myself) -you'll hear soooooo much about KSC75s, I'll bet you get a pair! Or five
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 36
Haha, thanks for the warm welcomes.

Let me put it this way. I didn't even know what a Koss/KSC75 was till I browsed like 10 topics on this board prior to registering. You hear about them like everywhere on this board.
plainface.gif

None of my local retailers sell it anyway, so I think they did me a blessing. I might get spoiled by them and never use anything else.
blink.gif

I wish they were ear clips in the way these are though, then I'd have definitely picked it up. But I'm assuming you can't get the same sound quality with this kind of design.

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 36
Run far far away, and try to get your ip banned from one of the admins, or you will regret coming here... forever.

My first month here I spent $700, and I wasnt even a member yet. That, and I still dont have a good source or amp, and that is bound to be a fun trip.

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats not normal.

It's probably rust on either the headphone connector or the female connector on your player. There are products that you can try to get to clean the contacts, but they will cost more than your headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Get the KSC75 from amazon, I think they're about $12~$15 depending on the season. We know what we're talking about, and your ears will thank you.
evil_smiley.gif

Welcome to head-fi. Sorry 'bout your wallet.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #13 of 36
Yep Koss KSC75, on eBay you can get them for around $16 shipped, sometimes Radioshack puts them on sale. They really are as good as everyone says they are
smily_headphones1.gif
It's like buying a Hyundai, popping the hood and finding a Ferrari engine. Also I'm not sure what you meant by clips, the KSC75 are clip headphones.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 36
I'm assuming he meant to say that he wishes they weren't clips. There's a real simple "mod" with some $5 Wal-Mart headphones that happen to fit the exact same size if that's the only thing keeping you from trying the KSC-75s.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by bendurrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming he meant to say that he wishes they weren't clips. There's a real simple "mod" with some $5 Wal-Mart headphones that happen to fit the exact same size if that's the only thing keeping you from trying the KSC-75s.

Yea that's true, this is the thread that discusses the headband mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back