Hello new headphone nut here...
Jun 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dlnwntchld

New Head-Fier
Hey folks, i wanted to pop in and say hello and hopefully get some good feedback on a choice for portable amp/dac @ $500.00 or so mark to power my Grado SR125's; eventually i will jump in and get SR325s, UE SuperFi5Pro, Grado IGI's (best cheap IEM ever!...imo) and Shure SE410s.

I have done some checking and reading and so far i have settled between the Apex Glacier and the RSA Predator. I also liked a few entries from ALO. I like the selected input so i can use the my 5Gen Ipod, which i want to get the Redwine iMod for, and turn off the DAC in the amp. I already have one of these bad boys laying around the house i figure "why not".
When i am not traveling with it, it will be hooked up via USB to my Late 2009 iMac and fed content via Audirvana+. I will then want to use the amp and DAC to play my music.

Where i am torn is that i prefer a dark sound but require good separation as i listen to a lot of early Jungle/Drum and Bass/House/Techno and also a bunch of "Lo-Fi" type stuff; maybe you could lump some slower Massive Attack stuff in there, just to give you and idea of what i am talking about. I guess you could say prefer warmer, more full-bodied bass, and natural tones, especially in some hiphop and avant garde/modern jazz.

So yeah pretty specific grocery list and for the time being, i wont be gettign any $600.00 + high dollar cans; im getting married soon and will find myself divorced before i even make it down the asile if she see's $3K worth of new toys on my desk. So med to low power, mostly low impedance stuff.

Thanks agains folks! Appreciate your help.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hey folks, i wanted to pop in and say hello and hopefully get some good feedback on a choice for portable amp/dac @ $500.00 or so mark to power my Grado SR125's; eventually i will jump in and get SR325s, UE SuperFi5Pro, Grado IGI's (best cheap IEM ever!...imo) and Shure SE410s.

I have done some checking and reading and so far i have settled between the Apex Glacier and the RSA Predator. I also liked a few entries from ALO. I like the selected input so i can use the my 5Gen Ipod, which i want to get the Redwine iMod for, and turn off the DAC in the amp. I already have one of these bad boys laying around the house i figure "why not".
When i am not traveling with it, it will be hooked up via USB to my Late 2009 iMac and fed content via Audirvana+. I will then want to use the amp and DAC to play my music.

Where i am torn is that i prefer a dark sound but require good separation as i listen to a lot of early Jungle/Drum and Bass/House/Techno and also a bunch of "Lo-Fi" type stuff; maybe you could lump some slower Massive Attack stuff in there, just to give you and idea of what i am talking about. I guess you could say prefer warmer, more full-bodied bass, and natural tones, especially in some hiphop and avant garde/modern jazz.

So yeah pretty specific grocery list and for the time being, i wont be gettign any $600.00 + high dollar cans; im getting married soon and will find myself divorced before i even make it down the asile if she see's $3K worth of new toys on my desk. So med to low power, mostly low impedance stuff.

Thanks agains folks! Appreciate your help.

Also good is iBasso. I would like to say Leckerton, but they are not dark at all, but neutral.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 5
With so many treads, it's not really uncommon to have no one respond. It's not just your tread, so don't feel to bad. But for something cheaper, fiio e11 seems good too. Neutral/bassy tone with good warm bass boost.

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Tips for more views and help. Question in title, clearly defined and concise question in body.

good luck and welcome,
k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back