Hello! Need help choosing
Aug 5, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 21
Also keep in mind that those HPs you listed are source dependent... You may not be happy with any of them if you can't drive them properly.

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #17 of 21
Thanks everyone!!! So after pondering what to get, I saw the Drop + Senn HD 8XX for a great price and snatched it up. I must say that I love the detail from these and will probably keep them. I will definitely look at all the other suggestions for a next pair.
So for now, I have them connected to a 1/2” to 3.5 adapter that is connected to my 3.5 to lightning on my iPhone and with the volume on max, it’s perfect for office work so it’s not too loud. My question is will I damage my HD8XX if I run it like this? I will probably get a portable DAC soon.

Thanks,
Al

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #18 of 21
Great choice. I had the hd800 years ago and always regret selling them. No you won't damage them like that.
Congrats on the new HPs. Welcome to the addiction. :L3000:

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #19 of 21
Thanks everyone!!! So after pondering what to get, I saw the Drop + Senn HD 8XX for a great price and snatched it up. I must say that I love the detail from these and will probably keep them. I will definitely look at all the other suggestions for a next pair.
So for now, I have them connected to a 1/2” to 3.5 adapter that is connected to my 3.5 to lightning on my iPhone and with the volume on max, it’s perfect for office work so it’s not too loud. My question is will I damage my HD8XX if I run it like this? I will probably get a portable DAC soon.

Thanks,
Al

Your iphone’s Battery will lose even more of its life as this heavy usage continues, but your HD8XX should be fine. As for a portable DAC/amp, check out the Tri TK2 with Apple CCK 3 and consider getting a 4.4mm cable for your hd8xx to ensure that your hd8xx gets the most from your DAC/amp.

Aug 6, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #20 of 21

Thanks,
Al
PlusSound makes BT cables for most headphones & iem's, if you ever wanted to go wireless while still keeping best quality possible (in balanced no less), they have basic options in copper all the way up to palladium and other fancy (aka pricey) materials. I intended to get a set for my Empyrean's but now it's more likely to happen if I ever get the Liric gifted (fantasy) or my Odin (still fantasy).

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #21 of 21
Been following this discussion and it seems to go in many different directions 😃
I am adding another headphone to the recommendation list - the DCA AEON Noire
I’ve been interested in the Noire for a long time and a couple of days ago had a listening session at the local store, including:
Focal Utopia
Focal Clear (original)
Meze Liric
DCA AEON Noire
DCA Stealth
Sennheiser HD800s
Hifiman Susvara
Sources used were Chord Mojo 2 and Hugo 2

The AEON Noire really impressed with stage, layering, detail and comfort. Sound signature is a little warmer and thicker in the midrange with sparkle up top and good bass foundation.
What speaks against it? It needs power and the upper treble can be a bit hot for my taste (but comes with some damping filter inserts which I didnt test). And it has poor dynamics. Other than that I think it’s a pretty safe choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back