hello. need advice on new headphones.
Jan 31, 2008 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nowhere

100+ Head-Fier
i have a budget of about 100-100 dollars or so.

i very much prefer the style of headphones that cover your whole ear as i listen to headphones a very long period of time and comfort is the most important aspect of interest in headphones with sound quality being second.

the thing i will be doing most with the headphones is laying in my bed in the dark listening to music... shoegazer/dream pop style of music is generally my favorite type of music.

i want to really get back into music and start listening to alot of music so i plan to be using these headphones i buy ALOT.

from reading and stuff it seemed my best choices are

Alessandro High-End Products: Music Series Headphones
the music series one

or

Sennheiser Worldwide: HD 280 PRO - dj Equipment - Headphones,Headsets - Professional,Audio,Music / Equipment Manufacturer
sennheiser 280 hd pro

both of these seem to fit my style pretty well and both got pretty good marks in reviews and stuff.. i am torn on which one to go with. i can't decide at all.

anyone got any ideas or suggestions that may help me decide? this is a pretty important purchase for me i dont have alot of money so this is gonna have to last me a long time. thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 9
I would, without a second thought, choose the Allesandro. But, if you're looking for something more budget minded, I think everyone here would recommend either the SR60 or SR80. In fact, a pair of SR60 just sold on Audiogon for 40.00. There is currently a pretty used looking pair up on eBay as well.

sprout

Jan 31, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 9
Neither one of those are known for long term comfort though. 280s squeeze quite a bit on your head, and the MS1's WILL hurt your ears after long listening periods, at least until you get used to them.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiesty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither one of those are known for long term comfort though. 280s squeeze quite a bit on your head, and the MS1's WILL hurt your ears after long listening periods, at least until you get used to them.

any recommendation of a more comfort oriented pair?

i was under the impression the headphones that cover your whole ear offered the most comfort for long term listening.

i absolutely hate the ones that go inside the ear... and the ones that just have a foam on your ear with no closing never felt right to me... the ones that like connect over your ear on the top of it is not my style at all (aka xbox live headset)

i looked at the sr-60's and they didndt look comfortable also not cancelling outside noise is a huge knock against it for me.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 9
oh also one more question... i plan to use a cd player you plug into the wall does the cd player have much effect on how good the music sounds with headphones? or is it just the headphones that has the big impact.

im saving up for a cd player to go with my new headphones down the road wondered if i had to get a real good one to take advantage of my headphones or any will do.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh also one more question... i plan to use a cd player you plug into the wall does the cd player have much effect on how good the music sounds with headphones? or is it just the headphones that has the big impact.

im saving up for a cd player to go with my new headphones down the road wondered if i had to get a real good one to take advantage of my headphones or any will do.

yes your source is VERY important, hence why you see people with 1200$ cd players when portable discman could be had for 50$
But on alessandros and entry level full size headphones, not as important as they are on 1000$ amp and 600$ headphones.
But I use a iAudio with FLAC output and it's not too bad...

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes your source is VERY important, hence why you see people with 1200$ cd players when portable discman could be had for 50$
But on alessandros and entry level full size headphones, not as important as they are on 1000$ amp and 600$ headphones.
But I use a iAudio with FLAC output and it's not too bad...

cool thanks for the info.

i should point out i am not hardcore like some of you insane audiophiles. so that kind of standard need not apply with me talking about needing the absolute best.

thanks again i guess ill look for a medium range cd player down the line.

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 9
I'll agree that Grado's take some getting used to, and you'll have to bend the head band, but they're fairly light, and you can forget you're wearing them after the break in period. Not to mention they sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back