Hello, My name is Morph and I'm a ...
Feb 7, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why the HELL is this site and hobby so $#@%ing addictive!?! Can someone please answer that for me!?!?!

I think that this site is addictive because of the hobby. The hobby wouldn't be as fun without head-fi, either. It's an interesting paradox. The hobby is definately fun, but, without somewhere to share with other entusiasts it would be a lot less interesting.

Feb 7, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 21
I agree it is addicting. I can't be the only one constantly hitting refresh in my browser to read new posts. To be honest, before I came here I wasn't even that into audio gear. Good music always sounded good to me no matter what I was using. Before I joined headfi I was using a pair of $20 Phillips headphones with the band celloptaped (similar to duck tape I guess?) on and plugged into a pair of $25 creative speakers.

I joined a few years ago, but I never really viewed the forums until the start of 07. I was totally fascinated when I bought my first audiophile level headphones, I didn't expect a pair of headphones to make such a difference! The more I read headfi the more I realized I could further improve my sound (DAC's, AMP's Cables etc) and it's been really exciting! I'm also a bit more knowledgeable about sound in general thanks to the place.

Excuse me while I go check for new posts!
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 21
As Ingo mentioned, without Head-Fi, I don't think I'd be in this deep into the hobby. I love the sense of community here and hanging out with people who are interested head-fi gear. Without this community, the journey would be quite boring and I probably would have stopped after the SR60 because, as Cid said, everything sounded pretty good to me before Head-Fi.

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 21
Yup. It's all about the community.

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 21
X2 for the community... and X2 for the hobby. Lord knows fellow soundmaniacs are few and far between, so it's nice to have a place like Head-Fi to share, joke around and motivate wallet draingage.

Perhaps we can start a new forum, Wallet-Fi, dedicated to reconciling wallet with payola?

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 21
I think one thing that really contributes to the addictiveness is the people on here helping each other and and giving info, advice etc etc

This is one of TWO forums ive ever found on the internet to be basically full of awesome people!

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why the HELL is this site and hobby so $#@%ing addictive!?! Can someone please answer that for me!?!?!

That sir, is a very good question and well presented too...
"Everything gives you cancer there's no cure there's no answer."
Joe Jackson

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 21
I think compared to other interests many have here (computers, photography, etc.), this hobby is relatively inexpensive to get into. A SR60 is pretty damn cheap for the mind blowing audio jump it gives. Course it's financially all downhill from there. You couple it with this great community and it's a potent mixture.

On the community front, I wonder if we should have a No Upgrade Day once a year to support those with chronic upgradis?

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the community front, I wonder if we should have a No Upgrade Day once a year to support with chronic upgradis?

The question is: Do we set the date just before or just after the national meet?
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it has to do with budget as well. Getting a good set of headphones and an amp can be much cheaper than getting speakers and amps to drive them.
icon10.gif
The whole headphone is more approachable.

Yeah to me this hobby is pretty cheap.

I'm cursed though, I swore off new headphones for at until the summer and now an AKG K340 is on its way
plainface.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 21
The upgraditis to some is fueled by keeping up with the Jones mentality. I know most of us would not want to agree to it but there is a lot of it here. Specially when we all push each other to keep spending money. My only regret is that I am not selling something good to this audience.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 21
I may even spend more time looking at Head-Fi than I do listening to my headphones!!
blink.gif
blink.gif

/runs and hides

Users who are viewing this thread

Back