Hello! I've got two questions for you guys!
Jan 24, 2017 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GhostFace0621

New Head-Fier
First of all, I just want to say that I'm glad that there is a website like this to help people like me who doesn't really know much about audio and thank you for taking your time to read my question and hopefully, answer it.

First question... I've got a custom made PC that I built myself. The specs are as follows:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/G7Lbcc
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/G7Lbcc/by_merchant/
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($85.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($319.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($73.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($73.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($137.75 @ Jet)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($107.49 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($129.77 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($636.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($189.99 @ Corsair)
Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Wired Laser Mouse  ($59.99 @ Corsair)
Other: Creative Sound BlasterX H5 Professional Analog Gaming Headset  ($69.35 @ Amazon)
Total: $2338.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-24 04:28 EST-0500

My motherboard manufacturer states that it's got studio level integrated 600Ω Headphone amplifier. Question is... would I still need a DAC/AMP to plug my headset in? It's the Creative Sound BlasterX H5 up top. I just read in one of the reviews that he had to plug it in a DAC/AMP to produce a better sound. That's why I was wondering about it.

Second question, would I need to plug in the headset using the front audio jacks or the rear one? Also, would it lose some quality if I plug the headset in using the audio/mic splitter that it comes with?

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 3
Your onboard audio may be able to make 600 ohm headphones load enough, but they won't sound nearly as good as they will if you use an external dac and amp. However, with the headphones you are using the on board audio will work fine, so save your money for a nicer pair of headphones instead of spending it on an amp. I don't think you will lose any quality with the audio mic splitter, all it is doing is separating the mic channel into a different connector. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 3

My motherboard manufacturer states that it's got studio level integrated 600Ω Headphone amplifier. Question is... would I still need a DAC/AMP to plug my headset in? 

First off, you have 3.5mm jacks on the motherboard, or its audio section is hooked up to the front audio jacks. So at the most basic sense, no, you don't "need" anything else.

Second, understand marketing. In some cases motherboards and soundcards talking about driving 600ohm headphones is like a car manufacturer telling you that their new 1.6 I4 engine can pull a pick up truck or small SUV. Sure, a new turbodiesel 1.6L or smaller can do well with a Hyundai Tucson or Ford Ranger, but that doesn't mean you can pull a trailer with a boat or even two racing bikes on it like you would have done with a Chevy with a V8. Even if the load is within the manufacturer specs you can't expect that all inclines will be easy for the small engine.

That said, gaming audio isn't going to be as intensive about distortion considering you'd be too busy fragging to notice the minor nuances about how explosions and guns sound better on an exotic tube amp than the motherboard. If you're not getting very bad distortion, then don't sweat it for now. If you'll use it for music, heck, don't sweat it for now and save up for a better DAC-HPamp that can work with your motherboard, assuming it already has virtual surround.

Question is... would I still need a DAC/AMP to plug my headset in? It's the Creative Sound BlasterX H5 up top. I just read in one of the reviews that he had to plug it in a DAC/AMP to produce a better sound. 

If you use a USB DAC or USB DAC-HPamp then you will completely bypass everything in the motherboard's audio circuit. You might get a better amp (though that really depends on whether your headphone has too low sensitivity or too low or too high impedance), but if your motherboard has a DSP that you're using - like virtual surround - you will bypass that DSP and its tricks also.

If you use the SPDIF output of the mobo or a soundcard to feed a DAC then the DSP is still in play, so if you ever go with a headphone that needs a better amp than the motherboard's, then get that kind of DAC-HPamp. 

Personally I'd just skip the complications and get a headphone that can be easily driven by the motherboard. That's why I use an HD330 on my gaming rig (along with a Xonar U3), which at 150ohms isn't too low nor too high impedance, but has high enough sensitivity.

Second question, would I need to plug in the headset using the front audio jacks or the rear one?

That depends if the good audio amplifier in ther motherboard is what's connected to the front audio jacks. I'm not aware of this being a problem unless you're using a soundcard on an expansion slot, since not all of them has a port to plug the front audio jacks to. All the same you can test it yourself as to which one sounds better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back