Hello I'm a dance artist and I'm looking for a headphone.
Apr 30, 2019 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cafm

New Head-Fier
The especifications of the headphones!:

- on-ear
- open back
- up to a cost of $80, a litle more if justifiable!
- flat tuned, more of the type "audiophile", I am a purist in this sense, and I do not want to limit myself to any type of music.
- good clamping force and/or be light to not move from the head while I dance.
- wired
- whith inline mic

Can you guys help me?!
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 7
The especifications of the headphones!:

- on-ear
- open back
- up to a cost of $80, a litle more if justifiable!
- flat tuned, more of the type "audiophile", I am a purist in this sense, and I do not want to limit myself to any type of music.
- good clamping force and/or be light to not move from the head while I dance.
- whith inline mic

Can you guys help me?!
Thanks in advance!

Hi, I posted this thread like a month ago, but there was no response, i made my mind and defined better what i want, hope you can help this time!

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 7
It’s a big ask. I’m not aware of many open back on-ears. Grado perhaps? Not very neutral. And no mic or changeable cable. Maybe Sennheiser HD25II’s, with an aftermarket mic cable? Also 80 bucks is not a lot to work with...

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Have you thought about wireless for dance? Is there a particular reason?

Because if not, you can get adapters like from kz that are cheap and wireless. Then, tack on some cheap but decent chi-fi IEMs like kz or tin audio.

Good luck!

Jun 1, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 7
Headphones aren’t the easiest to select for movement as well once you step outside of things like running. I think IEMs are the easiest route and safest for what will stay on. Anything I’ve done exercise wise in the past from pilates, yoga, law/fire conditioning classes (college), martial arts, etc I can’t name a set of headphones I’ve owned that I would trust to stay on during any single one of these activities.

Jun 1, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 7
May have to simplify your requirements especially at $80.

Koss porta pro or Koss ksc75 are the only open back on ears i know of in the price range.
Luckily they are good headphones for the price.

Alternatives with compromise
Beats Ep (closed back). I know beats gets bad rap but these are actually very well balanced and they look nice. $70 on amazon. They have more bass.
Sennheiser 280pro (closed back). Ugly imo but good sound
Superflux 681B (open back but over ear. still lightweight enough to move around with).
beyerdynamic dtx350m (closed back)

I can't comment on comfort and clamp, because its going to depend on how they fit you. Just make sure to get from somewhere you can return if they don't work.

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 7
I have 2 of those, wife has 1 other. They all sound good but I wouldn’t call them neutral after having the hd58x, beforehand I probably call my wife’s hd681 Evo neutral.

The Portopros always fell off easily on me, and even with my short hair (guy who prefers a buzz cut and let’s it grow a month or two) it will pull out hair.

The Ksc75 are light but they kind of have a loose feel during exercise and as long as your dancing isn’t too intense it will probably hold. They sound good, and using a cheap headband mod will make them sound better but than it will probably fall off easier. These sound the least neutral out of what the previous poster recommended.

Superglue 681 Evo, and 668b (both are semi open, closer to closed back in my opinion for isolation), I own the 668b and my wife own the 681Evo. They both sound good, better than the Koss in my opinion, and good enough my non audiophile wife had a huge smile on her face once she heard it. I gambled and chose sound quality over the cute cat ears one she really wanted, not a single complaint and she loves these and uses these around the house with her phone and computer all the time. I used my hd668b off and on for years, the two headphones that dethroned it till temporarily were the portopros and ksc75 till I got my hd58x. I would argue these are all good entry audiophile grade headphones.

Now for these two headphones the clamping force is good enough for some non intensive dancing, but it’s semi open and it isolates sound better than most people think. At normal listening level I can’t hear what my wife is watching if were in bed next to each other, I have to basically rest my head next to or on the headphone to faintly hear it. We can’t carry on a conversation with these on it isolates and distorts sound, we can tell someone said something from across the room, but not what was said. If the door is shut they can yell from the next room dinner is done and I can’t hear them no matter how hard try where as with true open backs like my hd58x I can easily hear this. The isolation is good enough I’ve told her to please never take these running for safety reasons, as it will block out the sound of cars, people, and animals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back