Hello, I need some help and advice
May 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

rdb1

Head-Fier
I am looking on purchasing a pair of headphones that I can use with my iphone 5s and my desktop pc.

I was looking at AKG 702 but I have read they need an amp to power them, but I dont know which would be best for them.

I listen to a lot of varied music, dance, hip hop and some 70s 80s etc.

My budget is around £150 so in us would be $200.

Thanks

Rob

May 10, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 21
Definitely. The K702s really do perform better with an amp.

If your budget were a little higher, I would suggest the Phillips X1 for the primary genres you listen to. Easy to drive. Good bass impact. See this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

May 11, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 21
AKG K240 requires an amp. to sound its best.

Phillips X1 is a great 'phone... does not need an amp.
HD25-1 II is good, HD25 ALU is better... try to listen to it if you can find an audio-shop which'll allow you to...

If you buy a low-impedance headphone, I suggest you concentrate on just a DAC for you computer. amp is good but not necessary in this case.
something like this:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=62_73

May 11, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 21
Thanks for that. Do you have any other suggestions as I would like to get a nice pair of headphones and a usb dac/amp  for around £150 - £200.  Portability would be nice also and something that can work without a dac/amp.

Bit of a long list but I like to get something that quality and will last.

May 11, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #8 of 21
Not for open headphones. Most other open headphones will be more difficult to drive than the Phillips. If that review makes them sound like something you would like, I would go with them. They will sound very good out of an iPod or iPhone. If you don't have a DAP, get a Sansa Clip+ or Sansa Zip. They will easily drive them, and believe it or not, those Sansas have sound quality on order of mp3 players costing many times more. And then you buy a microSD card to expand the memory on them.

May 11, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 21
I don't know why you would need those cables if just buying headphones. Headphones come with their own cables.

Grados are good headphones. But I don't use mine for EDM or hip hop because they don't have good sub bass extension. They are more popularly known for using with various types for rock.

May 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 21
  They look okay those San Disks for the money. Any other headphones for recommendations?

I also noticed on Amazon they recommend Fisual S-Flex Mini 3m 3.5mm Jack to 3.5mm Jack Cable cables? 

But I was also looking at Grado headphones

Grado cables are soldered directly into the drivers, there is no way to use those cables. Even if you modded the Grado with a 3.5mm socket, those cables already carry a stereo signal (R+, L+, shared GND), whereas the Grados have a separate + and - on each side all the way into the plug where the - are wired into the same GND terminal. Mod the Grado, and you will need to run a wire crossing over to the other earcup for its dedicated + and shared - conductors. If you look at a Grado headband, it isn't the sort where you can run a cable through there (as other headphones with a single-side entry cable runs the connections through there). Search for the Discovery Channel documentary segment on the AKG K702 on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.

May 12, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #12 of 21
the X1's are a great headphone, and depending on your listening device you may not even need a DAC, but it depends on your situation. Generally speaking, the DAC won't make that much of a difference, unless your source has a REALLY crappy one. The headphones will make the biggest impact, so its best to start there and then if you think you need it, you can buy a better DAC.

The stock cable on the X1 is known for having a high impedance, BUT again, YMMV in regards to how big of a difference it makes. If you read through the primary X1 thread, there's some debate about it. Some say it makes a HUGE difference, and some say otherwise. If you have some extra money, you can try getting a different cable and seeing if it makes a difference for you. The Fisual is a great choice if you're in the UK, for those of us in the US the standard is the V-Moda replacement cable. I have the X1's and enjoy them immensely, both with the stock cable & with the v-moda. 

Also just wanted to mention, if you do go with the X1's, its pretty much unanimous that they improve quite a bit with burn-in, so definitely give them some.

May 12, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #13 of 21
X1 do look good, but I have noticed that you cannot replace the headphone cups. Would anyone be able to recommend any in the £50 to £100 bracket please.

I am also thinking of getting on of these as my onboard sound, although okay this I think maybe better: http://www.amazon.co.uk/U7-Soundcard-Integrated-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00CP53ML2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399881739&sr=8-2&keywords=asus+sound+usb+card

Thanks for all your help so far.

Rob

May 12, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #14 of 21
I also have a Cambridge Audio CD4 and Gale Model4 speakers and a Kenwood amplifier ka-3020. I got give them for free off a friend. Anyway I can improve this setup?

May 12, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #15 of 21
  X1 do look good, but I have noticed that you cannot replace the headphone cups. Would anyone be able to recommend any in the £50 to £100 bracket please.

Why would you even want to do that? It was popular with Grados because for starters the chassis design makes it easy; and then to some it corrects some other flaw they find in them where correcting it with a different headphone may lose the kind of Grado flavor they like, for example using a longer chamber to get more bass,or a spacer or an adapter for different pads for comfort. Also, technically any headphone cup can be swapped out, it's a question if you have the right tools and skills, but in some cases the plastic housing doesn't have too much resonance or produces a good enough response; or they're harder to do, and will make the headphone look worse rather than how good Grados look with wood.

http://www.headphile.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back