hello! I need a VERY SPECIFIC type of headphone. RECOMMENDATIONS, PLEEEASE!
May 28, 2014 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

elshotgunninja

New Head-Fier
hello, audiophiles!
I signed up for this forum, JUST to ask this question, so PLEASE, any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Ok... I work in a studio where Im just sitting on a computer, working, ALL DAY... so, I pretty much just listen to music... ALL DAY...
And heres the thing... I like my music LOUD!... like turned up to 11 loud.

So the deal is, sometimes people complain that my headphones are too loud, and that everyone else in the office can hear my music...
So Im trying to look for new headphones that are REALLY LOUD to me... but incredibly quiet on the outside, for everyone else around me. And Im having a really hard time trying to think of search terms that will give me suggestions, or reviews, or recommendations on this... all I can find with my search terms, is stuff about Noise-Cancelling and Noise-Isolating headphones... I really dont care about that. I could care less if I hear ambient crap.

What I REALLY need are headphones that I can turn ALL THE WAY UP... and be as close to silent as possible to those around me.

Any help? Recommendations? Or even recommendations for search terms that will help me find what I need?

Thank you all in advanced for your time!
darthsmile.gif

May 28, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 11
Right, exactly... I really dont care about isolation/cancellation at all. Thanks for the "no sound leakage" term! Ill try that right now!
But pricewise, I guess I would spend anywhere between $100-$300 maybe? maybe up to $400, possibly.
And I dont reaaaallllyyy care if theyre earbuds or around-ear headphones, but I would PREFER them to be around-ear. But really, Its all about the "no leakage" thing, thats whats important, so Id go for earbuds if they really get to a good volume while keeping absolute minimal "leakage". Thanks for the help so far, though!

May 28, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 11
IEM's, specially custom IEM's, are definitely the way to go if you want maximum isolation without bothering people. Almost every other full-size headphone will leak sound at "Volume 11". Unless you want the Ultrasone Edition 8, which happens to isolate amazingly well, but that's probably out of your price range (though it doesn't need an amp to drive).

By the way, I noticed you used the term "earbuds" -- there's a huge difference between "earbuds" (i.e. the type that comes with your iPhone) and IEM's (in ear monitors). IEM's go into the ear canal, which means they seal off all sound around you, resulting in isolation and much better sound quality.

Suggestions for IEM's (from cheapest to most expensive):

Shure SE115m
Westone UM2
Shure SE530

Custom IEM's (starts at around ~$400 with all reshelling fees, IEM's, and audiologist molds). 

One option is to get a pair of IEM's that you like, then reshell them later for $170 total if you want custom isolation.

May 28, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 11
To clarify on the post before, isolation correlates with "no sound leakage". They go hand in hand..

IEM's will NOT leak sound, cheap "earbuds" will. Most over ear headphones, especially the Denon D2000/5000/7000, will leak sound.

Whatever you get, DO NOT get "open" headphones. Those are designed to leak sound for better sound quality/soundstage. 

May 28, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for all the help so far, ya'll!
Im certainly on a much better track than I was this morning! :D
But, does any have any recommendations on specific models or brands that would be good for what Im looking for?
Im down to get IEMs if theyre really that good for minimal leakage. Specific models?
Thanks again ya'll!
ph34r.gif

May 28, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 11
Minimal leakage would be Shure, Westone, or Etymotic, all models. I'd be looking at the UM2 for durability, overall value, and specifically, absolutely no sound leakage.

May 29, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 11
I own etymotic research hf2 and I can really recommend them for your purposes.

OMG sorry the HF2 is is atrocious. I don't know if I got a defective pair, since etymotic is usually very reliable and wouldn't have such poor sound quality in it's mid-range headphone lineup. Isolation and blasting noise, maybe, but step up to the ER-4PT if you really want reference sound. My top pick is still the UM2. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back