Hello, i am new here. I have a few questions about my 5.1 system i just bought.
Nov 24, 2020 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Wonderglue

New Head-Fier
So i am not an audio savy, but i can spot the difference between 320 KBPS an FLAC for example, and i have a fair range of headphones, ranging from JVC-HA-RX 900 to ATH-M50xBT from Audio Technica, along with their ModMic for gaming and music listening. So i bought a cheap 5.1 system for my PS3/PS4 and soon PS5. Before that i had some super cheap 2.1 system (But anything is better than TV Audio, even if it has a woofer and 3D surround) It was black friday, so why not.
The system in question is Genius SW-HF5.1 4800 v2, but it could be anything really.

I wired everything nice and tidy, so i don't want to do that all again because it took me A LOT of time to make the cabinets, and hide the wires.
Problem is, There is Front Right, and Front Left speakers. They don't have + and - cables, you can put then in any way you want so there is no phasing. Same for Central and Rear Speakers.
Now i have swapped the Front Right and Front Left speakers in a different order, so my Right speaker is on the left side, and my Left speaker is on the right side. However they are wired correctly on the AMP. So From the left side, comes the left sound, from the right side, comes the right sound, even tho they are labeled differently. Both speakers are identical apart from the sticker on the back. I am happy with the sound, bass and everything. Instead of using ear level audio like i have on my PC, i opted for system that is higher.

Is that fine, or not? Would that make my listening experience, or rather gaming experience worse? Does it even matter which speaker goes to which jacket if they are wired properly at the AMP? As in, the sound is not reversed or anything, just the speakers or labels themselves? Are they in fact identical and the label means nothing?
There was no static, or audio crackling or cutouts either, everything sounds pretty much perfect.
So... is that alright? Can i ignore the Front Left and Front Right labels if they are wired correctly? Since the speakers themselves are identical.

Thanks for any replies, btw.

EDIT: I swapped them around, despite the hassle. They look identical, but their sound may not be from what i was reading. Maybe the cheapest ones produce the same sound music wise, but i read that at least decent ones produce different sound when listening to music depending if it's left or right. No matter the jacket setting.
It's a shame i didn't got a clear answer, but oh well. Whoever is reading doesn't have to go through all the trouble explaining it to me. Or if they wish to help someone else if they search for the same problem, they can post.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 6
Hello. It sounds like you understand what you are doing and the only questions is if the polarity of the speaker is correct using the wiring you chose? What do you mean there is "no phasing?" All speakers have a phase and polarity that corresponds to how the diaphragm moves with +/1 voltages.

As long as you run + from the amp to + on the speakers, for example, you are going to be playing them with the correct polarity.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 6
What i mean by that is that both wires are black and there is no minus or plus written on them. On the backside, there is red/black, but i don't know which wires goes where because there is no indicator for them. They are identical. My Home Theater has + and - on them, it's a bit older but gets the job done and looks brand new. Red Wires goes into the red socket, black wires goes into the black socket. However in this case, i can't know if the polarity is correct because there is no indication of it being different. I was actually surprised that both wires were black and there was no + or - on them to be found, not on the cable or anywhere else. It was weird, but i can't notice the difference at all. None of them seem out of phase.

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Maybe you are lucky and all of them are wired properly.
But this is not very likely

Run a polarity test: https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php
Don't know if this works on a 5.1 as most of these test are stereo.

If you have a multimeter, measure resistance between begin and end of a wire and if it is null label this wire "red" with a piece of tape.
Alternatively, buy some speaker cable with a clear marking, this won't break the bank.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 6
I just did a quick glance to check if they were truly one and the same. I could check depending if the speaker is going outwards or inwards too. However i was wrong, BOTH are black, but one side is GRAY, the inside side where you separate them (I don't know who thought this was a good idea). And you can only see them if i shine the phone light on them. All but one speaker was running the opposite this whole time, so i rewired them. Didin't test them yet to see the difference out there. So i plugged the black side into the black plug, and the gray side into the red plug, i assume this is how it should be done since they aren't color coded in Black/Red.

I think it should work on the site, since the speakers are only connected to two connectors, left and right (Game Mode), and then upmixing stereo or DTS or Dolby 5.1 to again, 5.1. And i would be lying if i said it didn't work perfectly fine as in, sounds behind me are behind me/ambient, central is vocals and ambient, and left and right are just that. No cut outs, or anything when i set them in-game, or the in-game defaults to surround.
However i did set my PS3 for Dolby and my PS4 for DTS. And games detect them as that. Apparently it works better than Stereo Upmixing IMO. As for watching movies, i haven't tested Netflix yet to see what codec it will use. I only know household TV stations are running Stereo, but still upmixed to 5.1. Since it is a separate channel to DVD and TV/MP3, there must be some strong upmixing going on in the game mode since it is separate than the rest.

So thanks for the answers guys, i wouldn't have double checked them if it weren't for you. I think pretty much this is complete as it gets. Unless there is some kind of AMP i can buy to use my 6 cables from DVD into the AMP and then into the TV for a true 5.1 experience.
One thing i am missing is that there is no Standby Mode. When i set them to off on the backside of the woofer, the settings reset back to DVD default and Volume defaut, and any offsets i had to channels. I don't know if i should be running this 0-24. Even my Home Theater has standby on the Terminal/Remote. I can only mute them. I suppose it isn't a good idea to let them run 0-24, right? Since the main AMP/Woofer gets heated a bit on the backside. I tried leaving it on for 4 hours to maybe get Standby by the unit itself in auto mode, but no such luck. I know this is a bit off topic, but still, thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 6
Sometimes similarly colored wires will be square vs round. I've had a few pairs of speaker wires that were bonded together. They were the same color, but either one had a white / red stripe on it on the side or one was square and the other round. This shape pertains to the shielding.

Worse case you run a simple continuity check with a volt meter and make sure + goes to + on the speakers etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back