Hello Head-Fi
Jul 25, 2011 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RobbieG

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi community,

Thought I'd join and say hi. Audio equipment and gadgets have always interested me, and I have the desire for top of the line equipment with limited funds, like I'm sure is the same for so many other people here.

I bought a pair of Grado SR60s about 5 years ago, and still love them to this day. The ear pads have some tears in them, and after some reading on this site, I just bought the yellow Sennheiser HD414 pads to replace them. I'll see what I think when they arrive, and I might do the quarter/reverse mod to them. The only headphone amplifier I own is an Edcor HA-400A that a friend gave to me, which is more for multi-headphone listening rather than audiophile listening (it's really noisy!).

I'm hoping to learn a lot more about head phones and amplifiers, and what I should do for my next purchase. I'm kind of a go big or go home type of shopper, so I don't really want to buy a mediocre product that I'm going to want to replace in a couple years. So to upgrade from my SR60s, do I need to spend a few hundred dollars? Or do I need to go over $1000?

I mostly listen to indie pop/rock, alternative, post-rock, 60's-90's rock, and acoustic guitar/folk type music. Sources are either mp3s (192-320 kbps), FLAC, or vinyl (rebuilt Marantz 6100 turntable through an NAD PP-2 phono preamp, although this is currently set up to speakers and not able to listen to with head phones).

Jude's podcast about the new binaural album got me interested in exploring binaural more, and I've just started trying to find music that utilizes it, so that's a new thing for me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting involved with the community, I look forward to learning more, and hopefully someday I'll be able to give back, too!

Robbie G :)

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 6
Welcome Rob, 

Im glad to see a new head-fi'er, i joined this site a month ago and i've learned lots of good stuff. My headphone inventory is growing. 
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 6
welcomemousepad.jpg

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi there,

be careful, a lot of people start here but soon go down the inevitable headfi rabbit hole and never leave. There wallets got stolen by gremlins called upgradis  and there reasoning and sanity get pulled from there sub conscience in a most illogical manner by lasso's of expensive cabling  You soon dont know what is up or down and what actually makes a difference to the quality of music. you will then look back at this post and realize you were warned.

With the go big or go home mentality, I would go with the lcd2. It will do great in those genre and I dought you will find anything better at a decent price to replace it in the long run. There are other cans that are less expensive , but will you truly be happy knowing that there could be one better still out there?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Other than that....... Welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back