Hello Head-Fi.org
Feb 10, 2006 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ootput

New Head-Fier
(sorry if this isn't the correct subforum)

I just wanted to say hi to whoever is reading this particular post
smily_headphones1.gif

I recently blew my Plantronics DSP500's at a Lan Center in what could be described as a freak power surge. For the past few days, I've been reading oodles and oodles of posts here at h-f.o in search of replacement headphones, and I realised how little I knew about audio equipment (particularly for portables and PCs.) I decided to join h-f.o after seeing the quality of the posts, and seeing how well the community works together.

I'd like to be able to contribute much more in the future, but atm, this initial post is all I can conjure up.

I hope to see you all on the boards soon.

Cheers,
Joseph.

Feb 10, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 27
Listen carefully, Joseph. Sign off Head-Fi immediately and close your browser. You may even want to shut down or reboot your computer. Now take your wallet, credit cards, check book and all other means of paying for stuff and lock them up. Give the key to a responsible adult (ie. someone who will not give it right back). It is now safe to return to Head-Fi.

Otherwise "Sorry about your wallet!"
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
welcome to Head-Fi.. and the wallet thing? It's no joke.

yea, seriously

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 27
They are not kidding. My wallet won't even look at me now. It's so thin...

biggrin.gif

I'm working up towards another 130 dollar purchase, and I've already spennt 90. And that's almost nothing compared to the likes of Jahn.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 27
Welcome! Hopefully you can find the best headphone for your tastes. Or, if you are like many here....a plethora that will suit every need
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 27
Nice to meet you Joseph. The best advice I can give is audition some gear before buying. Most people find that they like a certain manufacturer more than others. Though these tastes do change over time. I have always loved AKG myself, but originally I also enjoyed the Sennheiser sound and absolutely hated Grado's. After many meets and upgrades later I can't stand Sennheisers and love Grado's for certain types of music. AKG is still my fave though.

...oh, and sorry about your wallet.
tongue.gif

- Jason
340smile.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 27
Welcome to Head-fi! It looks like others have already filled you in, hehe. Click on the Curse in my sig and see where I started - the MS-1 is a very nice can. But it all goes south from there...
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 27
my wallet has no worries. it's enjoying an early retirement, having been outsourced and replaced by a paperclip.

welcome to head-fi. sorry about your paperclip.

Feb 10, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 27
Welcome to Head-Fi, ootput! They aren't kidding about the empty wallet, it doesn't take long. Luckily I found out there is a way to avoid having your wallet emptied by headphone and audio-related purchases; venture over to HowardForums and have your wallet emptied on mobile phones instead
eek.gif
tongue.gif
Enjoy your stay here on what has got to be the fastest-growing audio forum on the web.

Feb 11, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
my wallet has no worries. it's enjoying an early retirement, having been outsourced and replaced by a paperclip.

welcome to head-fi. sorry about your paperclip.

Haha! Brilliant!
tongue.gif

Cheers fellas, and thanks for the many warm welcomes. I came across many wallet-related precautions while reading the posts here, and I'll have to admit that I'm feeling somewhat lacking in the audio-goods department.

At the moment, my wallet is morbidly obese (myself having not purchased any significant items for the past 2 years,) and I think it's time I implemented a dieting plan for it.

I have saved close to 2 grand for computer-related upgrades, and I figure that a large chunk of that will go towards the audio setup. I don't game, I don't do any cpu-intensive work, and I absolutely love my music; I don't think a cpu overhaul will be of any use to me. My primary concern now is to do with the External Dac, Amp, and Headphone selection.

In the grand tradition of displaying currency lost @ head-fi.org, here's my contribution:

~ $0 lost during my stay @ head-fi.org since February 11th 2006
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ootput
I have saved close to 2 grand for computer-related upgrades

that will go fast....
tongue.gif

edit: e.g. check my join date and my "spent since head-fi" in my sig...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back