Hello Head-fi been a while! (new allround headphones for music)
May 26, 2014 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Tomcat_ha

New Head-Fier
I am personally in the market for a new over ear headphone for around 100 euros (not very strict about it though) and i am seeking some advice as you guys are very good at that.

Personally i've used a few headphones in the past with most of them around the 40-60 euro mark and all of them on ear because i needed something mobile. Models i have used are:
Sennheiser px100, Koss Porta pro(what a great one that was), AKG 518LE(great sound but not very comfortable) and currently an AKG Q460(good sound albeit of varying quality and not that comfortable)

These days i have a bit more money and as i am about to go on summer holidays which will include lots of travelling I am looking at getting a over ear set that will be quite a bit more comfortable and ideally of course with the best sound i can get for the price. Open is most likely not the best of ideas for me as I will spend a lot of time in a car and other places with some background noise i do not have to hear.
I guess i have to mention what I don't find very comfortable about the AKG's I had was that they both seemed to press a bit too much on my ears which would result in eventually my ears hurting. I assume this will mostly be avoided if I get an over ear headphone. This headphone will also not replace my current AKG as its quite useful when you are on the move for short periods of time.

Music I listen to: Quite varied although predominantly guitar based. From extreme metal to hardcore punk to psychedelic rock. However I listen to classical, jazz and a couple other things from time to time. Although I guess the common denominator is that I tend to listen to "organic" sounding music most of all.
I don't tend to listen to music on high volumes so I doubt a headphone amplifier is required. I will use the headphones in combination with my old ipod video G5.5 (rockboxed ofc i am no heathen!) and my laptop.
Personal preferences sound wise: This is always the hardest part to describe properly. Some people might use the same terms for something different. It seems that I prefer stuff sounding spacey and clear/precise, no need for massive bass but not a fan of very trebly sound either. I usually listen at the lowest volume that makes everything come over properly.(I got my ipod set to ranging from -20 to -30 depending on the environment, sometimes even more quiet when I am somewhere really quiet.)

I prefer to not tinker with EQ's, I usually prefer the neutral setting and as I listen to music with a lot of different production jobs/tones it seems silly to do so to begin with.

Design etc is not really important to me, not nearly as much as comfort at least.

Do i need to tell anything more?

Anyway I have been looking at models online. I doubt i can really test any of these in real life so i just have to trust the reviews.

I've heard good things about the Grado SR80i
The Sony MDR7506 is supposed to be the best there is according to http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-150-over-ear-headphones/ It also is priced quite well compared to the others is see mentioned
there are also a couple Audio-Technica ATH-M50 models but the new x one is getting a bit on the expensive side for me.

This should be enough information i guess.
Cheers!

May 26, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 15
The old ATH-M50 should be fine for your needs.
If you like the looks of them, the Skullcandy Aviators are now less than half their original price almost everywhere, and for the sound you get, that's a pretty good deal and a fair bit cheaper than the Audio Technica.
I've only auditioned them a couple of times, so I'm confident in recommending their sound-quality, however I'm not so sure they're built very well, and have much more confidence recommending the M50 which my friend has owned for years, and totally abused over the years (they look awful), but they still work perfectly.

May 26, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 15
The Grado is open and leaks a ton.  So I doubt you want an open can.

The M50 has recessed mids and is not a good choice for jazz.

The UE 6000 is on closeout in the U.S. for under $100.  It is the way to go, if you can get similar pricing.

May 27, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 15

Onkyo ES-FC300(warm-neutral)

Really? it was a bass-head-phone to my ears.
I guess the Philips must be bass-monsters!

May 27, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 15
  Really? it was a bass-head-phone to my ears.
I guess the Philips must be bass-monsters!

From Innerfidelity:
"I would characterize the Onkyo ES-FC300 as a slightly warm, but otherwise neutral and well balanced headphone. Bass punch and extension is very good---no sloppy low notes here, just good, solid bass. The mid-range is musical and even-handed; both male and female vocals retain their characteristic nature and are nicely balanced. Treble response is also well balanced delivering good clarity and an open sound (for a sealed headphone)."

Yup, bass is definitely there, but its not overwhelming.

May 27, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #8 of 15
The UE 6000 is on closeout in the U.S. for under $100.  It is the way to go, if you can get similar pricing.

+1

Since you like the AKG K518LE, I agree with the Logitech UE6000. They have some bass emphasis, too. Much more comfortable than K518. Sort of like going from sitting in a wooden chair to an upholstered chair. (lol).

May 28, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 15
I am not really interested in a bass heavy headphone, the only equalizing ive done was turning bass down on my Edifier S550 speakerset.

But none of you have experience with the Sony MDR7506? It's very attractively priced compared to some of the other models that get mentioned. It does not have a removeable cable apparently however.

Regarding the UE 6000, I don't need noise cancellation.Also what is DCR?

The AKG K551 is cheap but i've had 2 AKG'S and they have all been uncomfortable and comfort is actually a big concern here so not going for that.

The Onkyo ES-FC300 is rated highly in the article that recommended the sony i just mentioned, but it seems to have comfort issues. It is also on the expensive side.

The Yamaha HPH-PRO300 is on ear and im seeking over ear.

the Philips SHO9207 is 400 euros man... thats way out of my budget.

May 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #15 of 15
I am not really interested in a bass heavy headphone, the only equalizing ive done was turning bass down on my Edifier S550 speakerset.

But none of you have experience with the Sony MDR7506? It's very attractively priced compared to some of the other models that get mentioned. It does not have a removeable cable apparently however.

Regarding the UE 6000, I don't need noise cancellation.Also what is DCR?

The AKG K551 is cheap but i've had 2 AKG'S and they have all been uncomfortable and comfort is actually a big concern here so not going for that.

The Onkyo ES-FC300 is rated highly in the article that recommended the sony i just mentioned, but it seems to have comfort issues. It is also on the expensive side.

The Yamaha HPH-PRO300 is on ear and im seeking over ear.

the Philips SHO9207 is 400 euros man... thats way out of my budget.

The Onkyo is on ear.

The K551/K550 are generally considered to be comfortable. And different headphone model series within the same manufacturer have different comfort. I certainly would not compare the AKG K518 comfort to the K551/K550s. Totally different animal.

I think the UE6000 is a bit better headphone than the 7506, and a little bit more comfortable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back