Hello from Seattle! VR - 3D - Binaural - Audio
Apr 8, 2014 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rooted

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

As a long time browser of information here I thought I'd finally join up and introduce myself! I'm Mike out of Seattle.

I'm an audio engineer/ 3D sound designer/ VR (Virtual Reality) developer. I love my gear and this site has helped me source some of it, thanks!

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 9
Hello!

You better make some proper in-game sound 
biggrin.gif

Go get yourself an hd800 and a smyth realizer or something..

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Im working on it, especially for VR! If anyone has an Oculus Rift and wants to try my 3D audio demo, PM me for a link.

Something I have been thinking of for some time is the possibility to dial in the standard HRTF used to emulate virtual surround via software to get it closer to your own HRTF. I suppose that most be doable, there must be some general 'traits' among ears that tend to color the sound in particular ways?

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 9
  Something I have been thinking of for some time is the possibility to dial in the standard HRTF used to emulate virtual surround via software to get it closer to your own HRTF. I suppose that most be doable, there must be some general 'traits' among ears that tend to color the sound in particular ways?

You are correct, HRTF / spatialised audio is coming back to games via software vs what used to be a hardware thing (Aureal / Creative CMSS-3D.) IMO, it is the best solution for VR games/media. I have found that the quality/transparency varies among the current offerings of plugins but I have found one that works the best for most everybody that I have demoed it too.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 9
Was thinking about correcting HRTF through software specifically by looking at general traits the ear might have and changing stuff like sliders or something.

I like cmss-3d the best too.

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 9
Was thinking about correcting HRTF through software specifically by looking at general traits the ear might have and changing stuff like sliders or something.

I like cmss-3d the best too.

Yep, you're on the right track. Some companies do exactly that in software already. One has what I think a great filter that works for most everybody!

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #9 of 9
I actually considered doing a project on that subject in high school some months ago. Never got around to it. It would've been interesting, though, as it'd involve contact with the scientific world etc.
Specifically the idea of individualised HRTF without measurements of the ear.
I might give it a spin next year, think it's realistic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back