Hello from Seattle... and I could use a hand replacing my good old Sony MDR-EX71 IEMs
Oct 23, 2016 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

GrooveStranger

New Head-Fier
Years and years ago I found a thread here that helped me choose a pair of Sony MDR-EX71s as a travel companion. They served me well for years but somehow, today, I lost them, and I urgently need a replacement. 

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a direct successor so I've made an account to ask for help! Here's what I am looking for, and many thanks in advance for any leads. 

- In-ear monitors with good noise isolation
- Needs to come with a variety of tip sizes because my ears are weird and one side has a smaller opening!
- J cable for behind the neck wire routing
- Not picky about sound, but needs to have very good clarity -- I use these for watching TV shows and movies and so dialogue intelligibility is critical. 

I don't care about in-line controls or a mic, but if the right IEMs come with those things, no problem. 

Budget is $100 but I would prefer to pay half that. I have much nicer cans that I use when I'm seriously listening to music. These IEMs are mainly for listening to TV shows in loud environments outside the house, like my commute to work. Obviously I want them to sound good, but I can compromise. 

I thought the Sennheiser CX 3.00 looked good but sadly they have a Y-cable, which I found I can't stand after years with a J-cable. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Looks like the Sennheiser CX 300 II (previous version) has a J-cable so I am going to try it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back