Hello from MIT
Nov 16, 2001 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

grrr223

All I want for Christmas is Radio Shack Cat.#910-4380
I miss you guys.

I haven't been here in a couple of months because I've been busy at school. I haven't had nearly as much time to spend reading every post to this group since I stopped my summer internship. I used to be on the top 20 posters list, now I think I'm somewhere near the end of the top 50, you take a vacation and see what happens
wink.gif

I am now a management major because I managed (ha ha, get it, "management", "manage", it's funny) to get myself kicked out of my computer science/electrical engineering major due to my grades. So now I do a lot less work and have a lot more time to enjoy my music and HD-600s and SR-60s, not a bad exchange. I wonder if it had anything to do with my soldering skills.

Unfortunately, my @#$@#$ parents wanted to "simplify my life" by not bringing my stereo up with them over parents weekend, I hate them for that. So I'm stuck with @#$@# computer speakers and MP3s while I ahve a $2500 stereo sitting in boxers in my basement at home. I don't even have a real CD player at the moment, that's at home too. Or even good interconnects. When I go home over thanksgiving, I'm going to bring back the interconnects I bought from blr over the summer with my OBH-11 (which I love) and run that out of the rca outs on my Sony CD burner to the OBH-11, does anyone have any experience with this.

anyway, i just wanted to say hi to everyone. I hope to spend more time here in the future.

Nov 16, 2001 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 11
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, grr223.

I used to be in the top 10, but since my vacation I can't find enough time to post as much as I used to do.

Well, what can you do...that's life
wink.gif

Bye

Redwoood

Nov 16, 2001 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 11
college... aaah!!! it's scary for me 'cause I'm looking at schools like Stanford, MIT, and Caltech... I've sacrificed a lot of time preparing for college, I just hope I can get into a good one... anxiety...
frown.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 11
Hi Grr, nice to hear from you! Will you still be in Boston for Thanksgiving? If so, please consider meeting up with us for the Boston Head-Fizer meeting!

About colleges: just chill about all that. I freaked out so much about colleges -- worked hard on my apps, gave the rec forms early to my teachers, but I got in to my choice early decision and it's all good now. If I can give any advice about the apps themselves, it's that you have to just be yourself. Unless you have one thing that makes you better than anyone else (e.g., recruited for a major league baseball team, author of a bestseller, winner of the Nobel Prize) you really need to present a full picture of yourself with your app. Out of all of my friends, the ones that got in were the ones who knew which teachers to give rec forms to, worked on making their essay as much about them as possible, and who made the people reading the apps know them as people. Of course, it helps to fudge a little bit and say you want to major in whatever major the school wants, things like that (for me it was physics -- but now, no way
wink.gif
). Anyway, you'll probably be happy at almost any school. For me, I just didn't apply to the schools that looked like they were very snobby and preppy.

Sorry for the rant, but I thought that any help you can get should be good.
wink.gif

EDIT: Forgot to mention the best advice of all... stay away from amHerst college!

Nov 16, 2001 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by grrr223
[...]

I am now a management major because I managed (ha ha, get it, "management", "manage", it's funny) to get myself kicked out of my computer science/electrical engineering major due to my grades. So now I do a lot less work and have a lot more time to enjoy my music [...]

If that is the case maybe you need to come to my unnamed state university and take my strategic management class. I could keep you busy.
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 17, 2001 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 11
It's the college where I am and which I am immensely enjoying right now -- Williams College! I was literally jumping up and down (and almost crying) when I read "Congratulations!" as the first word of the letter in the ominously thin envelope.

Classes are very important in the college you choose, but I find that what I love about my college even more than the professors is the student body. I just know that these guys will be my friends for the rest of my life -- they're smart, fun guys who share so many interests with me and who are just so fun to hang out with night after night.

Another thing, which may seem minor, is the campus. This is where you'll be eating, sleeping, loitering, learning, and all the rest. If the campus of a college you're visiting doesn't look like it could be your home, don't apply there. Even MIT, while very ugly, is such a homely place in so many ways that you can grow to love it. Just remember that, should all go well, you'll be living here for the next four years of your life.

Nov 18, 2001 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 11
Grrrr,

20 years ago I went to BU...No doubt those days rate as literally some of the best times of my life...and I've done alot since then. Enjoy, have fun and GET YER FRICKIN' MUSIC BACK!!!

Nov 18, 2001 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 11
Yeah, I can feel all your pain about applying to college....I am applying to graduate school for history right now, and it is not too much fun. The worst part is that I am 7000 miles away from most of the schools, so I have to leave all the logistics to my parents, which involves explaining a lot of confusing things about what to send where and when. As for DanG, I agree with his advice. I just finished up with Middlebury, which is relatively similar in atmosphere to Williams, and I must say I had an excellent time. I too did the whole early decision thing...it is the way to go these days. As for Middlebury, it was really nice to go to an excellent school with a more communal feel. I don't think I could have done undergrad at some big state school with 20000 students. When a school is smaller like Middlebury (about 2500 students), people will get to know you personally, thus they are more willing to help you out. That goes for students, faculty and staff. So best of luck with the apps, and try not to end up in Williamstown. There are more purple cows than people.
tongue.gif

grr223: If you go to MIT, why don't you just build a new cd player?
wink.gif

Stu

Nov 19, 2001 at 8:17 AM Post #11 of 11
Unfortunately, I will not be in Boston for Thanksgiving, I will be flying home for the holiday from Wed-Mon.

College is fun. Here's a bit of advice for anyone trying to get into one. I work in the admissions office at MIT, and if you want to get into your respective college or university, you need to demonstrate that you have a passion for something, it may be academic or extra-curricular. We'll reject kids with 1600s on their SATs because they're boring. But we'll accept kids with 1200s (even though our mean SAT scores are 1500 something I think) because they know what they want to do, and they have the initiative to do well on their own with the opportunities presented to them by whatever college they choose to attend.

As for management majors doing no work. I keep getting yelled at by my management major friends for contuing the slacker reputation we have on campus. It's not that I don't have work to do, it's that after trying to major in computer science and electrical engineering for two years, the work that we do have to do is a lot more pleasant than what I was doing.

Actually, I should do a poll on this, because in this forum the responses won't be typical of most college students today because we like to fix things. Given the choice, which workload would you rather have for a week?

My roommate, still comp. sci/elec. eng.:
Live in lab every night until 2 AM building an amplifier, and doing problem sets.

OR

Me, managment:

revise a memo
smily_headphones1.gif

It's your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back