hello from Ireland
Jul 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

rparmar

New Head-Fier
I've read this forum for years but for some reason only registered today. Maybe because the old headphone bug has bitten once again!

I used to listen exclusively though the Grado SR-225, but in recent years have favoured the "studio sound" of the AKG K271 MK II. I am quite active in field recording and have a set of Sennheiser HD25-1 II for that purpose.

Right now I am contemplating updating the K271. And I should really sell the Grados but they don't fetch what I think they are worth... so I hold onto them!

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 13
If you like the "AKG" sound, maybe get the AKG Q701 and a decent headphone amp to drive it.

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 13
Good advice considering I have earlier today been looking at the Q701. :wink:

The K271 I own is good value, but I have heard K701/2 cans several times and they are obviously better. Given that the Q701 is slightly better yet (from reports) it seems a good place to be.

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #6 of 13
If you are buying Q701 or K701 try to find the ones made in austria. Recently they started producing them also in china but if you ask me build quality is just not the same. Since you are living in Ireland finding the ones made in austria shouldn't be so hard for you.

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for that tip. Is there any way to know based on serial numbers or some obvious visible mark?

I will be looking second-hand, since otherwise it's not within the budget. This means buying over the internet, unseen.

Jul 15, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #8 of 13
For both Q701 and K701 the ones Made in Austria are clearly stated on the side of the headphones. If it doesn't say anything visible it is Made in China. If you are buying from amazon or from any e-trade website in europe you can get the new ones and on the box it will say if they are Made in Austria or China. Return them and look for another source before opening the package if they are Made in China. Aslo calling the seller to verify can be a method.

http://wax.hambegg.ca/K701c.jpg

Jul 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #11 of 13
My friend has a pair of old K601, only the first few batches are guaranteed to be made in Austria.
Almost guaranteed that if you buy new they will be made in China.
Not sure if they make any difference in sound, so let's not all be judgemental here

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
My friend has a pair of old K601, only the first few batches are guaranteed to be made in Austria.
Almost guaranteed that if you buy new they will be made in China.
Not sure if they make any difference in sound, so let's not all be judgemental here

Soundwise I am not able to sense any difference but built quality was significantly different for Q701 Made in Austria and Q701 Made in China. There are always products Made in Austria available in the market you just need to look for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back