Hello folks and a Senheiser HD 650 Question to start.
Jul 23, 2017 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

styks

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone from Dolgellau.Wales. Returned to half decent HiFi from years of being away, and enjoying my return at the young age of 54.
My system is. .... Marantz PM7005, Rega 1 turntable, Q Acoustics Q3050. My listening room is self built, bass traps in corners, rear wall and clouds,, 1st reflection absorbers and diffusers. It is sounding real nice, I'm happy.

Now to headphones, :) ...... My last pair were Senheiser HD480, I greatly enjoyed them, several more moons before, they were B&O U10 with a BeoCentre, can't remember which one now. They were more about style realy I feel.

Decided to stick with Senheiser and bought the HD650 model. To my, no doubt less discerning, ears they sound great out of my Marantz.

Anyhow, I also love to wild camp still and use a pair of Senheiser BT. IEMS when back packing, Qobuz on my TAB, mostly CD but some 24bit 96khz files also. Some higher resolution HD Tracks files played with AIM.
I did borrow some AKG headphones from my brother, output from an O2 ODAC/AMP powered by my puresinewave inverter when car camping.
Now I'd like to take my HD 650 with me when car camping but I'd read the ODAC does not pair well with them, so may be I should not get one?
I'm getting somewhat confused with all the options and several threads I've been reading, no one using them
as I intend though, that I've found.

Limit about 300 quid, preferably dac amp combo, the inverter is 1000w so could power separate units I guess but a combo would be best I feel unless theres much more to be gained from separates. .... I think my 240v supply should be clean but a good PSU to take out any noise would be nice also. .... DAC/Valve combo would be nice but my vehicle is an offroader, and i do off road to find out of the way places, so a valve would be vunerable i guess.

Source, TAB or iPhone, 16 and 24bit higher RES capability would be ok, but I doubt if my old ears can really discern the difference tbh.

Recommendations and advice please, pointers to threads with appropriate devices would be great too.
I never do to well with searches tbh.

Thank you, Styks.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 11
Anyhow, I also love to wild camp still and use a pair of Senheiser BT. IEMS when back packing, Qobuz on my TAB, mostly CD but some 24bit 96khz files also. Some higher resolution HD Tracks files played with AIM.
I did borrow some AKG headphones from my brother, output from an O2 ODAC/AMP powered by my puresinewave inverter when car camping.
Now I'd like to take my HD 650 with me when car camping but I'd read the ODAC does not pair well with them, so may be I should not get one?
I'm getting somewhat confused with all the options and several threads I've been reading, no one using them
as I intend though, that I've found.

Limit about 300 quid, preferably dac amp combo, the inverter is 1000w so could power separate units I guess but a combo would be best I feel unless theres much more to be gained from separates. .... I think my 240v supply should be clean but a good PSU to take out any noise would be nice also. .... DAC/Valve combo would be nice but my vehicle is an offroader, and i do off road to find out of the way places, so a valve would be vunerable i guess.

If you like the K550with the O2-ODAC the ODAC won't be a problem with the HD650.

That said...why take an open headphone that doesn't fold flat plus a DAC-HPamp when camping? Get a good IEM that has a better (or more preferable by your preferences) than your BT IEMs. It'll fit in a small case and at worst a slim, portable DAC-HPamp like the Fiio Q1 MkII will fit in a slightly larger case than what they ship with. I romped around Death Valley with just my ASG-1.3, and even if I had enough space in my camera backpack to take my HD600, it's not like I'll have enough energy by the time I come back to the hotel at 2AM when I have to be up by 6AM (because golden hours and all that).

And besides, would you even have time to critically listen out there? Not that IEMs can't be good for that but at least in that use case they aren't cumbersome, like how I have mine on while taking several long exposures.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 11
If you like the K550with the O2-ODAC the ODAC won't be a problem with the HD650.

That said...why take an open headphone that doesn't fold flat plus a DAC-HPamp when camping? Get a good IEM that has a better (or more preferable by your preferences) than your BT IEMs. It'll fit in a small case and at worst a slim, portable DAC-HPamp like the Fiio Q1 MkII will fit in a slightly larger case than what they ship with. I romped around Death Valley with just my ASG-1.3, and even if I had enough space in my camera backpack to take my HD600, it's not like I'll have enough energy by the time I come back to the hotel at 2AM when I have to be up by 6AM (because golden hours and all that).

And besides, would you even have time to critically listen out there? Not that IEMs can't be good for that but at least in that use case they aren't cumbersome, like how I have mine on while taking several long exposures.

Hi, thank you for your reply.
I think you may have misunderstood my question.
I enjoy my Senheiser BT IEMS when backpack camping, no worries there, sorted no issues.
It's for when I take the CAR camping, I find tracks to out of the way spots to wild camp.
Loads if room so I can take what I like and have the inverterter to power it, plenty lie back and chill time, I don't move around much, generally stay in the place I've found for a few days.
My HD 650 headphones would really add to the enjoyment, I don't working hard when camping out of the car! ..... 100% leisure, other than collecting wood for the fire of course. :)

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 11
Not heard the Odac but have heard the 650's from a O2 amp and thought it was fine to me.

Jul 24, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 11
Sorry, I am a bit confused. Are you looking for a desktop or a portable DAC/amp setup?

By portable I guess you mean battery powered? ..... If you do, no a desktop Dac/amp. My reasoning, from what I've read, is that battery powered is not so good with the HD650?
You see although I'm planing to take it with me when camping out of my car, not backpacking as I said, I can power it from my 12 - 240v inverter.
It is puresinewave so should be mains quality, that said the Dac/amp power supply, if good quality and filtered, would help to remove any suppy noise.
Also if I wanted to I could take it with when visiting family.

If there is a battery portable that will do the job as well as a desktop unit then of course I'd be interested.
I know the Mojo, and I've heard it will drive them but even though it can it loses something through the HD650 compared to decent desktop units.
l read the Schiit modi / magni work well, or the modi/ asgard, or the modi / Vali 2 ... Might be able to stretch to it, but was hoping there was a combo Dac/amp I'd not read about that was as good for around the 300 mark.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 11
Not heard the Odac but have heard the 650's from a O2 amp and thought it was fine to me.

I think they may be one and the same? ...... The full title is the Objective 2 (O2) ODAC, a small USB DAC/AMP from JDS labs, this one was built buy Mayflower.

When researching someone mention it and a couple replied NO NO it does not pair well with the HD 650 HP.
I could get it from my brother to try but if I can buy whats known to better then I will of course.

Jul 24, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 11
By portable I guess you mean battery powered? ..... If you do, no a desktop Dac/amp. My reasoning, from what I've read, is that battery powered is not so good with the HD650?
You see although I'm planing to take it with me when camping out of my car, not backpacking as I said, I can power it from my 12 - 240v inverter.
It is puresinewave so should be mains quality, however the Dac/amp power supply, if good quality and filtered, would help to remove any suppy noise.
Also if I wanted to I could take it with when visiting family.

If there is a battery portable that will do the job as well as a desktop unit then of course I'd be interested.
I know the Mojo, and I've heard it will drive them but even though it can it loses something through the HD650 compared to decent desktop units.
l read the Schiit modi / magni work well, or the modi/ asgard, or the modi / Vali 2 ... Might be able to stretch to it, but was hoping there was a combo Dac/amp I'd not read about that was as good for around the 300 mark.
Okay. I wouldn't recommend a Mojo with the HD650, as good as it is. Is not a good pairing between the two. If your budget is around 300 GBP I would personally go with a Modi Multibit and a Magni 2--if you can swing it. It will be close with your budget, but--. The Multibit is really special, though, IMO, and well worth the stretch. My take but YMMV, of course.

Jul 24, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 11
No they are different you can get just a O2 amp and a Odac.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 11
Okay. I wouldn't recommend a Mojo with the HD650, as good as it is. Is not a good pairing between the two. If your budget is around 300 GBP I would personally go with a Modi Multibit and a Magni 2--if you can swing it. It will be close with your budget, but--. The Multibit is really special, though, IMO, and well worth the stretch. My take but YMMV, of course.

Ok good stuff thank you, ill certainly have a long hard think.
One question, can I feed it with usb from both android and iPhone source?

Oh, and is it worth pushing to the Magni 2 Uber ?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 11
I think you may have misunderstood my question.
I enjoy my Senheiser BT IEMS when backpack camping, no worries there, sorted no issues.
It's for when I take the CAR camping, I find tracks to out of the way spots to wild camp.
Loads if room so I can take what I like and have the inverterter to power it, plenty lie back and chill time, I don't move around much, generally stay in the place I've found for a few days.
My HD 650 headphones would really add to the enjoyment, I don't working hard when camping out of the car! ..... 100% leisure, other than collecting wood for the fire of course. :)

I didn't misunderstand it, I'm still saying I wouldn't lug that gear around. If I thought you would go hiking with it the first thing I would have brought up is how to power it (which at best would be separate O2 and ODAC boxes each with their own batteries). At worst I assumed it might be something like an open-top 4x4, like a Jeep or an older Vitara. Also, when I gave an example, it's not like I just walked all around Death Valley, primarily because it's called DEATH Valley for good reason. Sure, no wolves, no bears, no giant cats, no crocodiles or gators, but that's because there's practically no water either. If I just completely went around there by foot I might as well have a mule to haul Gatorade. I was in a hotel too, that's practically base camp.

In any case, given you have an entire car around you, is it your car and not a rental? I mean if it's your own car you might as well install a second 2SM deep cycle battery plus decent speakers, a sub, and an amplifier. Not good for imaging unless you blow money on a DSP unit but at least if you light up a campfire and open some windows a bit you can listen to it. Not to mention you can listen to it while driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back