Hello - First post ^_^
Mar 31, 2007 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

En_R

100+ Head-Fier
New to the community-..

But with a very important question

In my search for a hard-drive/flash storage player that has the best sound quality out-of-the-box, I have found 3 standards: The IPod Photo, Video, and the Zune. All 3 use CODECs from Wolfson Microelectronics.

video: WM8758

photo: WM8975

Zune: WM8978

Overall (after checking the specifications of each audio driver on WM's website), I think the PHOTO wins out. Am I right?

The reason this matters to me so much, is because I want to buy a new headphone+ player setup= and only headphone + player.

So I would love some recommendations for IEM's (100-150$) range, and what some of the best players out there are. The 3 I have just shown are just popular players that most people own, but they are no necessarily the best. For IEM's I have checked out Westones, Shures, and V-moda's (and I am seriously considering the V-moda's)

I listen to every type of music imaginable- but my main concern is w\ classical and rock.

Also, are there any forums/websites that give good reviews on players such at these? I am talking about reviews given with as much detail and enthusiasm as the headphiles of this forum have given for heaphones (though... I'm not sure if that is possible ..) Thank you ^_^

Oh yes. All I care for in a player recommendation is sound quality. Same with headphones. I do not care much for looks, or design (though the fit for IEM's and isolation are of importance).

Mar 31, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 5
out of the ones you listed, and for player --> headphone, the Zune wins hands down. it's sound quality out of the headphone jack is very good.

as for IEM's, the Vibes have some good reviews, but they aren't very isolating if I am correct. I own Shure E4c's, and their sound quality is very good, in my opinion. However, there don't seem to be many who like the sound of the e3c's and e2c's.

Westone UM-1 gets a lot of praise too. You may also want to look into Ultimate Ears Super.Fi Pro 5's. My favorite IEM's so far.

Mar 31, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 5
I have to agree with rockin on this one. I have all kinds of players, and the Zune easily wins.

Mar 31, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 5
Zune is better than an iPod photo and still better than the iPod video.
Ipod need a Line-out dock to even stand a chance against the Zune in Sound Quality.
From the headphone out, Zune is the best.

Mar 31, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 5
there is no question that the zune has the best sound quality. I have listened to all types of mp3 players (ipods, creatives, irivers, rios...) the zune wins hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back